Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDOS attack on personal internet - how to defend?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nexus666

nexus666

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

hi.  i was just hit with what i am certain is a denial of service attack.  one minute i was connected fine and the next i get limited connectivity.  i waited a few minutes and reconnected then it worked fine again.  but after i sent a message to a friend online, it was instantly disconnected again.

there is also another nearby unsecured internet connection i can reach, so when initially my own personal internet went down and wouldnt reconnect, i switched to that one.... however within minutes it was getting limited connectivity as well and down as well.  so i switched back to my personal one and then again it went instantly to limited connectivity.

is this a denial of service attack?  it seems insane to me that a hacker could be sending packets to a 2nd separate connection and disable it as well minutes after doing my own personal ip... but maybe it's not all that hard.  i really dont know.  how can i protect myself from this?  is there any way to prosecute someone doing this?  it is screwed up.  i have had the unfortunate luck of meeting a gang of hacker low lifes and for awhile it seems like they lose interest in me but then i always end up having random issues like this over and over.  they have stopped contacting me directly but in the past they have said to me before they will never leave me alone for life.  its retarded. i want to prosecute them or something.  is there any way to prove that someone has been attacking me ?  i have run through a sleu of root kit scans and i never seem to find anything.  i just ran through a huge list of tests with someone here on bleeping and everything checked out clean... but then things like this happen.

what would you do to prevent this?  what should i do.  its so stupid that someone can just screw with someones net and theres no defense? 

Edited by nexus666, 10 October 2013 - 04:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi,

it sounds highly unlikely. Couldn't it be that a big update started downloading and that is what was causing you the connectivity issues? Where you uploading a large file, the same can happen as well.

If you disconnect from the internet and reconnect, you usually get a new IP, so unless you reconnect with the hacker somehow, he won't be able to know what your new IP is. In your case it seems the only person you contacted was your friend, I don't think he would be the hacker, would he?

There's another possible explanation: Your ISP is having issues. That's why reconnecting on your end didn't help and it could also help explain why the problem is persisting when you connect to that unprotected network: They also use the same provider as you and were also affected.

It could also be a bug in the driver of your wifi-card, dropping the connection irregularly or even a hardware fault. So you see there are many other possibilities besides a hacker that can explain this. If it happens only once I would put it down as a fluke and forget about it.
If you are having regular issues with your internet connection, I would check out your settings and if necessary contact your ISP.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users