Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ignores request for Boot Menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TimeStamp12

TimeStamp12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

I am going to start off with specs:

it is a MSI GX620

-----------------------
System Information
------------------
----
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International
System Model: GX620
BIOS: GX620, BIOS Version: A1651IMS Ver1.0L
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 1049MB used, 3044MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

-----------------------
Problem Recap
------------------
----
I am going to recap all the whole event lead up to this point, so please bear with me here --

I was wanting to install a copy of Linux onto a flash drive to have a carry-on copy to boot from and be able to save onto; not just a live boot disc. I sought to do this using my laptop, as i was away from the house (and glad i didn't do it with my desktop). I attempted to install Linux onto the flash drive from a boot disc which then seemed to create a dual boot on my main HDD for my laptop.

After seeing my laptop wouldn't boot without the flash drive in (given it could not find the Linux parameters), I used my Win7 disc to do a command line repair, doing a fix mbr and fix boot. Thus replacing the grub dual boot mode with the original windows boot.

From this, I reformatted my flash drive and just mounted the Linux ISO onto the flash drive and proceeded to boot up Linux as a live disc from it. I wanted to test out and see if I could save anything while in Linux, shutdown, and then re-access it next time I booted in. Using the pretense that I was on a flash drive and not just a burned disc.

After live booting into Linux, I saved an image onto the Linux desktop and shutdown the computer. When starting the laptop back up i hit F11 to load boot menu as normal. Except this time the laptop ignores my request for the boot menu and proceeds to just load windows. I've also noticed, when going to my BIOS config screen it asks for a password. The BIOS accepts a blank password and I'm under the pretense that it had set one when i created the root password while installing Linux but removed it when i fixed the mbr/boot.

One thing that was also suggested to me is the Linux live boot runs within the RAM and by saving the photo to the Linux desktop could have gotten left on the RAM. I followed the suggestion of removing the RAM, turning the computer on for a minute, shutting back down, replacing the RAM, and then turning it back on. This however did not work.

As additional info, it looks like several BIOS parameters have come protected. When attempting to change password or change boot priority it only gives me a message saying "view only item".

The end all goal I am trying to achieve is: why my "boot menu" request is being ignored and how can i fix it? Outside of what has been detailed above, the laptop starts up and working completely fine and normal with no problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimeStamp12

TimeStamp12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

problem solved.

Opened case, unplugged main power for 15 minutes and replugged in. re-setup bios and reboot

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for letting us know, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users