Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power issue with Toshiba. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoTreeBoy

DoTreeBoy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

I recently bought an older Toshiba (windows 7 around 2010 I'm pretty sure).  I knew that it was broken when I bought it but I'm trying to dive into understanding and fixing computer hardware.  The issue it is having is that its not powering up.  The screen is black and but both the battery and ac adapter are fine (both have lights that work and come on.)  That being said when I hit the power button the power indicator comes on for probably less then a second and then all 3 of the lights (battery, ac, and turned on light) turn off instantly.  In order to get the battery and ac light back on I have to unplug the ac and replug it in.  The computer makes zero noises (such as fan) nor does it give any indication that it is starting up at all.  The guy I bought it from thought it was a screen issue but I don't think thats the case for the reasons stated above.  So I'm hoping someone with more experience in hardware can help me with diagnoses and what part is malfunctioning?  Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Could be a few things. But I would put money on the motherboard being fried. 

Does the screen's backlight even come on at all? I assume that when you say there are no noises, that there are no beeps coming from inside the PC, right? 

But try something simple like unplugging the laptop from power, removing the battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reinsert the battery, plug the laptop back in, and try turning it on again,

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users