Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Excel File

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

Hi, :thumbsup:

I have a corrupted excel file (22kb). When I try and open it, it simply opens to a blank workbook. Here's the story behind it, and I'm blaming MICROSOFT for their damn policy on needing the original Office CD to install office updates.

Went to Office update, needed 5 patches. When trying to install, Windows Installer came up and asked for Office CD. I put one in, but the updates failed. Now, I installed this at work but I used ANOTHER copy of the Office CD for these updates, not the original disk that I used to install Office on my computer (we have several copies of the CD's with my IT department). So, I needed to go to head office to get the original disk.

In the meantime, I tried to open an excel file through my floppy drive. Immediately, Windows Installer came up and told me to insert the office CD (I know this to be a bug in excel). Shortcuts to excel will not work until your installation completes successfully through the office CD. The ONLY way to open excel in this case is to type the EXACT PATH in the run command!! WTF??

Now, I did manage to get a hold of the exact CD used to install office on my computer and everything installed properly. But, now when I tried to open the said file, it said "A: drive not formatted properly". I then went to safe mode and did a CHKDSK and ticked both options to see if I had a bad disk. Big mistake....now when I try and open the file, I get a blank workbook.

AARRRGGGHHH.

Hello my name is bonehead.....I didn't back up the file. :flowers:

Do you know of any good utilities to recover excel files? I googled and found some free trial versions which seem to do OK, but will only recover part of the data. The others are DEMO'D out and I would need to fork over about $100 for the "full repair". Don't want to do that, unless it's my only option.

Know of any good freeware utilities?
I use OFFICE 2000 PROFESSIONAL and Windows 2000 Professional, SP-4.

Your help is very much appreciated. :trumpet:

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users