Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Devices found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saxdragon

saxdragon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hey, CyberGurus!

My problems started as I was logging into Second Life a couple of weeks ago: Using the Firestorm viewer, the monitor started flickering and then the computer froze.  I rebooted by holding down the power button on the front of the computer.  It went through the normal sequence...motherboard manufacturer welcome screen (Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4) then what i guess is a self-check screen in black and white console font which looks for a CD to boot from at the bottom of a bunch of computer arglebargle.  Assuming you hit a key or wait it out, it goes to the next screen which offers me a choice of partitions to boot from.  Both of these screens were nearly incomprehensible due to the computer substituting some of the English alphabet characters.  Here's an example:

Windows Advanced Optiofs Eenu

Safe mode

Safe mode with Fetwgrcing

Safe Eode wit' Cgemand Proept

It then went to to login screen for Windows which looked normal, so i logged into my account.  But instead of the desktop, the screen was filled with black and white stripes, mostly horizontal, but connected to each other with a few vertical or diagonal stripes, all about an inch in width.  The machine froze again and i shut down with the power button again.  The same process played out.  I started up in Safe mode, then shut down, then started normally and everything was cool again.  I ran though some maintenance routines, disk check, IObit Advanced System Care scan, and Norton 360 Tuneup, but discovered nothing. 

I'll make this part as brief as i can, because it's not really the problem i'm posting about.

I went back to using my computer as I always do, but almost everytime I tried to use Second Life, the same thing would happen.  I have three separate hard drives in my case, so i logged into a different one, but it still happened.  I tried uninstalling the viewer app, then downloading and installing a clean copy of it.  That made no difference.  I figured the Firestorm viewer was conflicting with something.  Then I tried using a different viewer (Singularity).  The same thing happened.  So ran check disk again, Norton and Advanced System Care.  I also ran IObit's Driver Booster, which found seven drives that needed to be updated.  I did that, but noticed after a reboot that although it looked like it worked, the new drivers hadn't been downloaded or installed.  But I didn't think it was a virus, most likely the graphics card i was thinking.  Well, the machine is working properly again (but i haven't tried logging into Second Life) but during this whole process, somehow my sound capability has disappeared.  Also, Advanced Care seems to have deleted a couple of programs along with their shortcuts when it did a Shortcut Fix.

So how do I get the sound back on in my machine?  It looks like the system files (alert sounds, etc.) for sound have been deleted, along with the HD 8-channel sound that was included with the motherboard.  I can't seem to adjust anything in audio properties because there's nothing there to adjust!

Thanks for any help.

SteveB

Computer is a custom-built dual processor 64-bit with 4 Gig of RAM, 2.4 Ghz CPU, nVidia GT 8500 graphics card with 518 MB memory.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

'sfc /scannow' on the command line should help Windows back normal, then you will be able to reinstall your audio drivers.

#3 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks very much. I did as you suggested and the scan finished with no onscreen messages (except for opening a Windows installation window with various utilities and options).  I don't know if it actually changed anything or not, but after i reinstalled the HD sound drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's software disk, everything seems back to normal.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

what it fixed will be in your event log...

Glad to help :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users