Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeverall

jeverall

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hello

I have a family member who brought a pc which already had windows xp on it
and it has the product key for it on the side of the machine.
But they have lost their boot cd....
Is it possible for me to use my Windows XP cd to get their computer going again?
If not does anyone know of what needs to be done to get it going again?

Cheers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

First, you need to check if it has a restore partition. Go to your Control Panel - Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and click on disk management on the left pane. You should see your drive(s) on the right pane. Sometimes, the partition is hidden from view. If you have about three gigs missing, there might be a hidden partition.

If you post the name and model of the computer, we might be able to find the information to restore the hard drive.

You may be able to use your XP disk, but it might not contain drivers you need to make the computer work properly, though these may be obtained from the company's website. It would be a good idea to obtain them (if you can) and burn them to a CD before beginning the procedure.

With the computer name and model, we can get information about restoring/re-installing the computer, either to its original state or a repair install.

#3 jeverall

jeverall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

First, you need to check if it has a restore partition. Go to your Control Panel - Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and click on disk management on the left pane. You should see your drive(s) on the right pane. Sometimes, the partition is hidden from view. If you have about three gigs missing, there might be a hidden partition.

If you post the name and model of the computer, we might be able to find the information to restore the hard drive.

You may be able to use your XP disk, but it might not contain drivers you need to make the computer work properly, though these may be obtained from the company's website. It would be a good idea to obtain them (if you can) and burn them to a CD before beginning the procedure.

With the computer name and model, we can get information about restoring/re-installing the computer, either to its original state or a repair install.

Thanks for the help, I will get the info that you are on about and see what I can do from there!
Whether i have success or failure I will come back on here and either thank you gracefully or
beg for more help! :thumbsup:
Regards

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users