Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Paid DirtyDecrypt.exe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have a client that would like to know if payment is possible? Has anyone paid to decrypt their files? This usualy wouldn't be advisable by me at all, and I realize that there is a lot of risk involved. We just want to measure that risk and determine ourselves if it is worth an attempt. This is a new client and prior to working with us they they have no backups.\

Thanks,

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yes, I had a client call me, inform me that they went to cvs and purchased a pre paid card, paid the $300, and, surprise surprise, never heard anything from the infector. The pc was still infected as well. I was able to restore the files from a backup, but I personally would never advise paying any ransom demanded.

#3 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks. That is all I needed to know. I appreciate your response.

#4 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't think you should pay them, it's a scam, you don't want them to keep going living off of your money do you?

I looked around the internet for a tool used for the decryption of your files, I don't think there is one, sorry.

The best thing to do would be a System Restore, if you have a restore point saved, if you don't then you've most likely lost that data, unless you want to hand over some cash to scammers and probably not even get your files back anyway.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#5 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Unfortunately System Restore does not restore user documents.... ;(

#6 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Unfortunately System Restore does not restore user documents.... ;(

That's a pain.

Next time you should backup your crucial data on an External Hard drive or a website that allows file storage.

Or you could get your own website and store files using FTP.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#7 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks. I personally do backup my files. This is our new client and until we started working with them (see above...) they were not backing up anything....I have informed them of the information shared here. Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users