Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN adapter needs resetting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Starting about a year ago I'd occasionally have the yellow triangle warning over the "network and sharing center" icon in the task bar.  Now, this error notice is appearing frequently.  I right click the icon, click "troubleshoot" and the Windows Network Diagnostics box comes up.  This internal diagnostic fixes the problem; it says the issue found is:   "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.  Then it will say:  Reset the "Local Area Connection" adapter.  Fixed.  

Even though the problem is easily fixed, I'm wondering why it occurs, and why is it becoming far more frequent?  The detection details say the configuration  and logs are in "NetworkConfiguration.cab".  Being basically ignorant of even general computer knowledge, I know enough not to mess with "cab" files.  It happened last night after the MS updates and the restart (I only get the notifications, so I decide what I'll update.  There's only 4 I haven't installed--IE 10, Desktop Protocol 8.0, Bing bar, and Bing Desktop).  

This is from Event Viewer last night after MS updates:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig

Date:          10/8/2013 11:28:43 PM

Event ID:      10002

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      nowfaith-HP

Description:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

This immediately follows in the Event Viewer:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig

Date:          10/8/2013 11:28:43 PM

Event ID:      4001

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      nowfaith-HP

Description:

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

This W7 Event Viewer is a mystery to me really and the Event Viewer >Custom Views>Administrative Events is a bucket load full of red circles and yellow warnings, even though I've not noticed any glaring defects in performance etc.  

Thanks for your help.

Info on the LAN:  Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, version 7.48.823.2011.

I use U-Verse, download speed 11.10 Mbps, upload 0.98 Mbps; the modem is 2 months old, and I've never had a problem with this modem,NGV510.

Using a HP Pavilion g7-1310, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1, Intel i3-2350m, HD 6 GB, IE 9, but I use Chrome  95% of the time (don't sign in or have an account).  

Also have MBAM Pro, avast! antivirus free, SAS Pro, Windows Defender; all are updated automatically.

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Have you contacted your ISP about these instances?

Louis

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Have you contacted your ISP about these instances?

Louis

Yes, AT&T UVerse says it isn't their equipment or the UVerse high speed internet service.  The knowledge level of their reps is dubious though; I doubt they even understand the problem.

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users