Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove denials of permission for 100s of files!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

I just bought a used tower with W7 installed.

A few days ago, I was running a scan, and kept getting popups saying the scanner needed to open a file or launch an application. This sounded suspicious to me, so I unchecked the box to make my decision permanent, then denied them all. There were hundreds of them.

Now when I run any kind of scan, it can't scan these items, telling me they are "locked." But I denied them only temporarily.

I'm not used to this OS. How do I go about removing all those denied permissions? I can only find a way to do it one at a time, and only when I know the name of the file. I don't know their names, or where to find them on my system.

Is there some way to remove those denied permissions, without having to use an older restore point? I'd have to reinstall half of my applications if I did that, I'm sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

What "scanner" are you referring to?

If it's a permissions issue, there is a way to restore all permissions to system defaults.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-reset-all-user-permissions-to-default/9da312d2-c99b-4283-a275-e74d93dcc366

There is also a tool which may be of assistance that I am unfamiliar with:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ .

Louis

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks very much. I might be back if I have troubles, but I'm optimistic about it.

I must tell you how grateful I am for your past help. You're the best I've found online. You never sneered once at me when I had W98SE - you even had a whole department dedicated to people like me!

Since I thoroughly detest W7, I may end up returning to W98SE. Either that or Ubuntu. My unhappiness with 98 was that I could no longer comment on disqus-controlled sites, use an updated Firefox, or view videos on many sites. A simple patch to 98 could have fixed those problems, but I know of none.

I'm still loyal to W98, because the more "updated" systems are a HUGE takeaway. It's hidden behind many glitzy bells and whistles. I do appreciate a few of those, but not enough to let the OS take control away from me that I always had in W98.

Last time I "trusted" my OS (W98SE) to fix problems automatically in Scandisk, I ended up with every single folder and file on my system TRUNCATED. I'm still renaming things, four years later.

What I AM sure of is that I detest W7. I'd probably have similar sentiments about the newer OSs. They're all TAKEAWAYS.

Thanks muchly for your help,

Holly B.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

The vast majority of us are here to try to help :).

I've run or worked on systems with every version of Windows from 3.1 to Win 7...my opinion is that (prior to Win 8) Microsoft has consistently improved on the product it provides, with the possible exception of Win Me.  I cannot judge Win 8 because it seems to be developed for users who like bells/whistles and who employ devices which I don't use...but I suspect that Win 9 will be an improvement over it across the spectrum of devices providing Internet access.

The biggest complaint that I interpret from those who dun Win 7...is resistance to change.  XP was introduced in 2001 and users grew accustomed to it over an extended period of time.  It doesn't seem likely that Microsoft will let that happen again :), with Windows seeming now destined to fall in line with their approach to MS Office as a product routinely spouting a new version.

I liked Win 9x...when it was the best option available...but that day is over and I have tried to adjust to the reality of change.  Newer is not always better, I think Win 8 supports that.  But...there are many instances when newer is better and Win 7 is superior to all of its predecessors...from the viewpoint of an end-user who is grateful that MS gave all of us non-technically oriented users...the opportunity to enjoy the knowledge and information and entertainment which Windows facilitiates for all of us.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users