Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i7 3740QM vs i7 3840QM vs i7 3940XM: Is It Actually Worth The Extra Money?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hello and thank you in advance for any help.  I'm planning on ordering a custom Lenovo ThinkPad T430 2344BMU (NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory) to which I'll add an SSD for the OS (64 bit Windows 7) and 16GB RAM.  My processor options are an i7 3740QM, an i7 3840QM, or an i7 3940XM.  After several days of research my head is spinning :wacko:  and I'm still uncertain whether or not the higher-end processors are worth the extra cost.  Certainly they score better on tests and what not, but given my computer usage I'm still unsure.  Please, to those with a better understanding of processors than I possess:  as a non-gamer but chronic heavy multitasker who frequently (re)encodes audio(s)-video(s) overnight (the rendering software will be on a RAM disk), would I actually experience a performance gain from the 3740QM to the 3840QM to the 3940XM given my usage?  Thanks again for any illumination.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hi, the 3940XM processor would be a good processor to choose if you are constantly encoding video/audio contents on a daily basis as it will able to process it quicker and you will be able to get through a large amount of contents in short amount of time.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

killerx525:  Thanks for your reply.  When it comes to encoding do you have any idea how much faster it would process?  That is, given the benchmarks, etc., can you quantify the gain in actual performance as a percentage?  From what I read it seems that each step from the 3740QM to the 3840QM to the 3940XM is an improvement of roughly 3-6% for the tests, but I'm not sure how the tests translate to actual usage.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 09 October 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

killerx525:  Thanks for your reply.  When it comes to encoding do you have any idea how much faster it would process?  That is, given the benchmarks, etc., can you quantify the gain in actual performance as a percentage?  From what I read it seems that each step from the 3740QM to the 3840QM to the 3940XM is an improvement of roughly 3-6% for the tests, but I'm not sure how the tests translate to actual usage.

I can not provide the figures due to various factors like the type of software that is used to encode, as different software encodes in a different manner and the contents that is encoded.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hi, I agree with killer, Based on my own Experiences The faster the CPU, The faster the encodes all else being equal.

I will also say that a laptop is not the best platform for encodes. Laptops cooling systems do not have the room for really good cooling systems. Also Laptops are designed to keep weight down. Both of those factors contribute to why laptops are not the best tool for CPU intensive tasks such as encoding Video or Audio.

One Other factor is the Software being used. Factors such as does the software take advantage of all the Cores in a CPU, Most modern software does, Not all however. Does the Software take advantage of Cuda in Nvidia GPUs. CPU only encodes are considered to be better quality than encodes that also use CUDA. However whether You would see it is hard to say.

If the best quality is not needed then the quality settings in the encoding software can have a effect.

Quality of the Video can affect speed too. Will the Video need lots of filtering to eliminate low bitrate blocking or noise for example.

Personally I have a laptop for laptop type usage. I have a simple dual core All-In-One desktop for internet and a separate desktop with a SSD boot drive, enough memory, Multiple storage drives and a i7 CPU.

For best speed the i7 CPU, then this workflow, Capture 1080i video to one drive, Encode from that drive to another drive, Then Author to BluRay on a third drive. Then Backup the source video to USB3 external drives.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

killerx525:  thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it :) .

rotor123:  thank you very much for your very helpful post  :) .

I will also say that a laptop is not the best platform for encodes. Laptops cooling systems do not have the room for really good cooling systems. Also Laptops are designed to keep weight down. Both of those factors contribute to why laptops are not the best tool for CPU intensive tasks such as encoding Video or Audio.

I understand and agree but at this time have no other option.  Perhaps someday...

Personally I have a laptop for laptop type usage. I have a simple dual core All-In-One desktop for internet and a separate desktop with a SSD boot drive, enough memory, Multiple storage drives and a i7 CPU.

For best speed the i7 CPU, then this workflow, Capture 1080i video to one drive, Encode from that drive to another drive, Then Author to BluRay on a third drive. Then Backup the source video to USB3 external drives.

A man can dream :wink:  .

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 09 October 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

The only suggestion i can make is to purchase a laptop cooler which will help reduce the temperature of the laptop during the encoding process. I personally use Coolermaster's Notepal U3 solution as you can move the fan based on where the intake fan of the laptop is. 

>Michael 

#8 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, killerx525.  The movable fans are a great idea and would certainly make the cooling pad much more functional.  I'll add one to my list of accessories :thumbup2: . 

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 10 October 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

killerx525, I had not heard of that cooler pad, That could actually help whereas I suspect that most cooler pads are of minimal help.

Good find. Thanks

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

killerx525, I had not heard of that cooler pad, That could actually help whereas I suspect that most cooler pads are of minimal help.

Good find. Thanks

Roger

With the 3 movable fans, you can essentially direct lots of air into the laptop fan or other components like the RAM compartment( assuming it has some air vents) or the hard drive bay.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users