Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem booting on ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

I am having problems with my computer that I built about a year ago. It's had issues booting pretty much the whole time, except for a while when XP was running fine on it  till one day it refused to boot. When it boots it runs fine. However I've taken to not shutting it off so that I don't have to wonder if it will boot or not. The other night the power went out and was out longer than my UPS protected against.

My setup:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Bios version 0803

AMD FX 8150

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866

Windows 7

This is my first UEFI setup so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot. Sometimes the computer boots fine and other times it just sits at a blank screen with a curser never to change from that. When it boots it goes through all the lights as far as I can tell. It lights the CPU, then RAM, then Video, and finally the boot LED. When it boots normally it goes through all the same lights on the MB. The only difference is no OS comes up. It does get to the bios stage as the splash screen shows.

For a little while I thought it was a Windows 7 only problem, but it's not limited to that. I have access to multiple booting drives for this computer XP, 7, and Linux Mint all on Sata HDD and I have a bootable USB of Linux Mint as well. I make sure that only one bootable disk is plugged in at a time when testing so that there isn't a conflict. They are all single boot set ups. Windows XP seems to be the most reliable booting disk, but it doesn't boot all the time. The USB drive boots sometimes and not others.

Now if I understand correctly I can have multiple booting disks all plugged in at the same time and then control which boots based on the boot order in the bios right? I've had times where I have set the USB to boot first, but then the HDD below it boots instead. I can't figure out what is going on.

Is there a way to test my Win 7 HDD to make sure it is functioning correctly? If I boot Win XP with Win 7 HDD plugged in it shows the drive in disk management, but XP doesn't give it a letter. It shows that the drive is a GPT protected partition. I know windows 7 made some changes to the way it can be partitioned, but I'm not sure whether a GPT protected partition is normal.

Any ideas of what to check on? I'm kind of at a loss as to what to troubleshoot. I'm not sure there isn't a problem with my Win 7 setup, but the fact that I can't reliably boot mutlple OS's on different drives indicates to me there is some other issue that is hardware or bios related. However I'm not sure on how to troubleshoot that. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2013 - 12:00 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi, Try basic troubleshooting.

Your problem could be as simple as having a USB Storage device plugged in that interferes with the boot process. My own brother had a similar problem. It turned out to be a flash drive he left plugged in. Pull every USB device except Keyboard and Mouse. Test

BTW his is a ASUS Intel i7 based system I built him.

Unplug all hard drives except the Boot Drive, check BIOS settings, Test. Unplugging the power should be enough.

If still no luck also unplug the optical drives and test.

Do You have a card reader plugged it, try unplugging it, test.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

That was my first thought too, but everything is unplugged. I didn't bother pulling the DVD drive power, but theren't isn't a disk in it. Every usb slot is empty (except keyboard and mouse) and there is only one sata drive plugged in at a time.

I need to double check the Linux Mint Sata HDD, it may have gotten hosed I haven't booted to it in a while.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

That was why I suggested unplugging all but the One Boot Drive.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Looks like it was a drive failing. I got a new drive and installed the OS. It seems to be ok now.

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Glad to hear all is well now.

Thank You for reporting back

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 krazykev101

krazykev101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

I am having problems with my computer that I built about a year ago. It's had issues booting pretty much the whole time, except for a while when XP was running fine on it  till one day it refused to boot. When it boots it runs fine. However I've taken to not shutting it off so that I don't have to wonder if it will boot or not. The other night the power went out and was out longer than my UPS protected against.

My setup:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Bios version 0803

AMD FX 8150

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866

Windows 7

This is my first UEFI setup so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot. Sometimes the computer boots fine and other times it just sits at a blank screen with a curser never to change from that. When it boots it goes through all the lights as far as I can tell. It lights the CPU, then RAM, then Video, and finally the boot LED. When it boots normally it goes through all the same lights on the MB. The only difference is no OS comes up. It does get to the bios stage as the splash screen shows.

For a little while I thought it was a Windows 7 only problem, but it's not limited to that. I have access to multiple booting drives for this computer XP, 7, and Linux Mint all on Sata HDD and I have a bootable USB of Linux Mint as well. I make sure that only one bootable disk is plugged in at a time when testing so that there isn't a conflict. They are all single boot set ups. Windows XP seems to be the most reliable booting disk, but it doesn't boot all the time. The USB drive boots sometimes and not others.

Now if I understand correctly I can have multiple booting disks all plugged in at the same time and then control which boots based on the boot order in the bios right? I've had times where I have set the USB to boot first, but then the HDD below it boots instead. I can't figure out what is going on.

Is there a way to test my Win 7 HDD to make sure it is functioning correctly? If I boot Win XP with Win 7 HDD plugged in it shows the drive in disk management, but XP doesn't give it a letter. It shows that the drive is a GPT protected partition. I know windows 7 made some changes to the way it can be partitioned, but I'm not sure whether a GPT protected partition is normal.

Any ideas of what to check on? I'm kind of at a loss as to what to troubleshoot. I'm not sure there isn't a problem with my Win 7 setup, but the fact that I can't reliably boot mutlple OS's on different drives indicates to me there is some other issue that is hardware or bios related. However I'm not sure on how to troubleshoot that. Any help would be appreciated.

TRY THIS! ASUS tech support doesn't even help you, they just keep pushing you for an RMA. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM FOR ALL IS the 3 pin connector for the cpu . That's the culprit, You need to NEVER connect to the cpu power 3 pin female connector to the mobo 3 pin cpu fan male connector . You have to use the 3 pin female connector from the CPU on the 4 pin male connector just to the right of it on the MOBO called the cpu fan optional, it is a 4 pin male, but you use the 3 pin female cpu connector there and the embedded slot that places it in the right direction IS USED leaving 1 pin unused> so spread the word...the 3 pin male connector on the saber tooth FX990 is useless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users