Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using notebook hdd with desktop pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 00pm

00pm

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

My notebook's mainboard is dead. All my important things are in it's hdd so i need to work with this hdd.

I want to install my notebook's hdd to my desktop pc and use it.I don't mean just the files from it i mean taking out desktop's own hdd and inserting notebook's.

How can i manage this?

The data is very important for me so is doing this have a risk of corrupting the files?

My desktop uses this hdd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KQJ62A?d=f&pd=1

My notebook's hdd is this

http://shopper.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/fujitsu-mobile-mhy2080bh-hard/4014-9998_9-32595717.html#info-5

Edited by 00pm, 08 October 2013 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Since you have an older IDE drive in your desktop, and a SATA drive in your lappy, the above will work with the least hassle.

Does your desktop motherboard have any SATA connectors?  Any SATA power connectors on your PSU?  If yes to both, you might just get a SATA cable and hook it to your current desktop motherboard and just pull off the DATA you need.  Otherwise that adapter/cable I listed is really handy for pulling data off any type of hard drive.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

If your computer has a SATA connection you can use it, however you're computer won't work without the original HDD with the hardware drivers in it. You have to install the notebook HDD as a secondary drive.

#4 00pm

00pm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

My problem is that this data is encrypted with a software. I was thinking of directly running the operating system within notebook hdd then decrypt files.Because i am afraid of corrupting my data.

Edited by 00pm, 10 October 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

If you try to run the notebook HDD while its connected to the desktop, you'll probably crash before you get to the desktop.

The drivers for the notebook are specifically set for the components in the notebook. When it tries to find those components in the desktop, it will fail, thus crashing.

It's like putting diesel in to a gasoline tank.

Feel free to try it, if you want- it shouldn't cause any lasting damage, and once in a blue moon I've seen swapped hard drives function (though if you do get it to boot to the desktop, the first thing you need to do is reinstall the drivers so they match the desktop's)

EDIT: You will have to decrypt the data first, of course. You may need to fix the notebook to achieve this. If you're certain the mainboard is dead you could order a used replacement on Ebay or attempt to reflow it:

http://youtu.be/niRuCHv3Ti4

Edited by Netghost56, 10 October 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#6 00pm

00pm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

If you try to run the notebook HDD while its connected to the desktop, you'll probably crash before you get to the desktop.

The drivers for the notebook are specifically set for the components in the notebook. When it tries to find those components in the desktop, it will fail, thus crashing.

It's like putting diesel in to a gasoline tank.

Feel free to try it, if you want- it shouldn't cause any lasting damage, and once in a blue moon I've seen swapped hard drives function (though if you do get it to boot to the desktop, the first thing you need to do is reinstall the drivers so they match the desktop's)

EDIT: You will have to decrypt the data first, of course. You may need to fix the notebook to achieve this. If you're certain the mainboard is dead you could order a used replacement on Ebay or attempt to reflow it:

Thanks for replies.I couldn't find any thanks or rep button.

I can install my old hdd to my new notebook a different model.But my old hdd may be infected with malware. If i install it to my new notebook will it infect my new notebook? if so is there a way to safely do this?

Edited by 00pm, 14 October 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

How different a model are we talking about? If its a Dell Toshiba HDD to a Dell Toshiba notebook, it should be ok. But you can't swap a Dell with a HP or a Chromebook with a Ultrabook, etc.

Actually, there's nothing outside the HDD to infect- unless you have a ROM trojan, which is unlikely. Malware resides specifically in the HDD.

Just install Malwarebytes and run a quick scan, or if you wish, you can check out the Virus/Malware forum for assistance in cleaning the HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users