Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD from the beginning boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lautry

lautry

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

This is my first post in this forum and it may be a rather long one but please bear with me as I need your expert help. I help my friends with computer problems using my limited but above amateur experience. I am usually presented computers with run of the mill viral infections.

So-- I was presented an old Dell with XP service pack 3. The browser was highjacked, could not run antivirus, could not run any .exe due to no file association. I removed the hard disc drive and scanned it with another computer using Norton 360 and Windows Defender. Found many, many viruses and removed them. I reinstalled the drive and then was faced with the file association problem. Having never encountered this before, I found a solution on the Microsoft forum that involved copying a sequence of instructions and merging them as a .reg file. This seemed to work. Now I could run Spybot already installed on this computer and this found many problems. As i requested Spybot to remove the problems it did so and hung up on the restart screen. I finally got a restart, it began to boot, went through the Dell screen and to the "Welcome" screen for XP and then the BSOD error xxxxxxxx7b. Booted up under f8 many times using all options, same result. No mouse, no anything just BSOD 7b.

I really hate to tell my friend the disc would have to be reloaded and XP reinstalled if she even had a copy of XP. I'm stuck. About the only thing I can offer her now is to take the drive back out and copy her files somewhere to save. She currently has a boat anchor for a computer and I am feeling foolish and maybe I should have kept the hell out of the registry.

Thanks

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

The easiest thing I can think of for this issue is to restore to a previous date. However, I am unsure of how to do that in Windows XP if you cannot boot into the OS. If you cant boot into safe mode either, your options are wearing thin. Sometimes saving the data and restoring it is the only option, and would be the option I would give you. If anyone else has a better solution or other troubleshooting options please post!

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. On the off chance the hard drive just coincidentally decided to die on me, I took it out again and started scanning and it works ok. I wonder if I could run chkdsc on the drive offline? I only have windows 7 computers.

#4 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. On the off chance the hard drive just coincidentally decided to die on me, I took it out again and started scanning and it works ok. I wonder if I could run chkdsc on the drive offline? I only have windows 7 computers.

What do you mean run chkdsk on the drive offline? As in it has no power or if you are booted into it?

Sincerely, Blake.

#5 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have a "Cables To Go" drive adapter that connects a hard drive to an existing computer and treats it as an external drive

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ok gotcha. I dont see any reason why you cant run chkdsk on it if its being used "like" and external hdd. Right click on the drive in My Computer and under tools you will see "error-checking". That should run chkdsk on it.

Sincerely, Blake.

#7 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

I ran chkdsk on the hard drive and found errors. the errors were fixed but the problem still exists with BSOD. Any more ideas would be welcome.

#8 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

If the problems were fixed and the HDD is tested good then the BSOD could possibly be software related now like a corrupt OS.

Sincerely, Blake.

#9 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

That's what I am thinking also. I would like to save the files on the hard drive and reinstall XP but do not know how to re obtain XP. There appears to be a valid product key on a label affixed to the computer case. I wonder if Dell would send XP to me?

#10 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well, I highly doubt that Dell would still carry recovery disks for that computer because of the age. It doesnt hurt to call them though, and the recovery media is not expensive. 

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users