Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roaming Profile can not be located.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

A users roaming profile somehow can no longer be located on the Windows 2003 server. I checked and it still appears to be there. I was unable to find any differences from the user's profile and other users. Trying to copy the profile just copies the error and new profile can not be located either. So maybe there is something wrong inside her roaming profile. The user is in the same groups as other users and has the same permissions as far as I could tell.

I could make a new one but outlook information seems to be stored on her roaming profile as copying her local profile information on the users machine did not get the Outlook .pst file. I might try looking for the .pst file on the user's local machine later but the user is unable to access their email. Only difference from other users I noticed copying her local profile was that it was several gigabites in size. Larger than other users.

Just to note I am not terribly familiar with servers and I did not set up they server they have here.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 08 October 2013 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Created a temporary profile trying to copy her old profile. However on the two computers it was logged onto I got malicious infections. A password stealer, a trojan downloader, a worm, and and exploit.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

I would extract (copy) her .pst file from the old profile and re add the email account. If you open "mail" or "mail32" in the controll panel. Select the user's outlook profile and click properties. Select data files, this will give you the location. These are by default for office 2003 and 2007 on Windows XP %username%\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, Office 2007 and newer on Windows 7 its %username%\appdata\local\Microsoft\outlook. Backup .pst files are in the local machine "My documents" outlook.The .pst file should have no effect on the user checking email (you will have to re add the account information). It will however store all of the user's old email, and in my experience is usually quite large. When recreating the outlook profile you can specify an exsisting .pst file. If outlook crashes with the old .pst file use scanpst.exe located in the Microsoft Office program directory to repair the .pst file.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 October 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have done this and restored her old email files. I have given up on her old profile as a lost cause and created a new one. I disabled her old account so it can no longer be accessed and have no idea what could be wrong with it. This situation is resolved as far as I am concerned. Thank you for your assistance.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 15 October 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Your Welcome, Thanks for posting your solution. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users