Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to set up segregated networks behind Uverse Motorola Res. Gateway?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Best way to set up segregated networks behind Uverse Motorola Residential Gateway?  I think it's an NVG589 RG.

I need 2 segregated networks- 1 for an ethernet LAN and 1 for a wireless network.  I do not want either to be able to see the other.  I tried doing this with a Cisco Linksys e1500 router and could not get it to pull an IP from the Motorola, even after releasing/renewing and power cycling both.  The AT&T tech said Linksys sometimes don't work as well in this regard as Belkin or Netgear, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.  He had no ideas. 

Any ideas to set up these 2 independent networks as inexepnsively as possible.  To go into a little further detail, network A will have 6-8 devices and a couple access points for iPads'; network B will be exclusively for wireless customers like a coffee shop. 

Currently, the site is simply using the Motorola RG with an 8 port Netgear switch and all devices are wired into the switch.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

Bulldawg23, you want to setup VLANs.http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support] is a good starting point. Once you get your head wrapped around it VLANs are a breeze.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users