Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant BSODs and OS failures - help with he minidumps please

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 travis373

travis373

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi all. So I've been having every blue screen and OS failure under the sun for about a month now. Most failures seem to be memory related, (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc) and my problems did abate for a day or two when I reseated my memory but it got so bad that I had to do a refresh and then a clean install. However I'm still getting issues. I've been able to fix these issues with clean installs and replacing hardware in the past but I can't replace anything right now. I was hoping someone here could read the minidump files and tell me exactly what is wrong with my PC. Thank you. 

Specs -

AMD athalon II 635 Processor

4 GB cosair DDR3 1333mHz ram

ATI 6800 graphics card

OCz-Vertex4 ATA SSD (windows drive)

ST31000628AS ATA (storage drive)

Maxtor STM3250310AS ATA (storage drive)

ASUS motherboard (can't remember model sorry)

Thanks for any help you can give. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi

Since you already did a refresh and then a clean install, chances of a software issue is highly unlikely. I would do a memory test before doing any other troubleshooting steps. To test the memory using the free tool Memyest86+ , please read instructions from the link below.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

You should run at least eight passes with memtest for an accurate result. Since it may take a long time to complete, you can leave the system running the test.

If there are errors detected during the test, stop it and read instructions from part three of the guide to find the faulty module.

#3 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

I tried to run a memtest from a bootable usb this morning but for some reason my PC won't boot from the usb. I've set usb to be the primary boot drive in the bios. Any ideas? 

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

You have some driver issues, and as posted above possibly caused by memory errors..See the attached log files Attached File  Dump Check.zip   6.5KB   4 downloads

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 October 2013 - 05:08 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

HI

Not all systems supports boot from USB and that is why it is always recommended to run Memtest86+ from a CD. Please download and burn Memtest image to a blank CD and you will be able to complete the test.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm

#6 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

So I got the usb boot working, 3 passes an no errors so far. Sneakcyber, any idea which drivers? I can't make heads or tails of the log files sorry, would you recommend buying new memory then?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

HI

Three passes is not enough. As i said earlier, you should wait patiently until the test completes eight or more passes. Once the health status of RAM is verified, we can look in to software issues.  

#8 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Ok, it's still running. 5 passes done and nothing I'll get back to you when it's finished 8

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

HI

If there are no red lines even after eight passes, please provide the below log files with next reply.

:step1: A Speccy snapshot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Read the tut ans post the web link displayed by Speccy. You should run the system at least for an hour for Speccy to correctly catch the current thermal condition of CPU.

:step2: A Minitoolbox result.

"Minitoolbox" can list all the installed programs as well as event log errors in your system. Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
   -List installed programs
   -List devices
   -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in your next reply.

Edit:

If there is more recent crash dumps available, zip and upload them also.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#10 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Ok, memtest ran for 8 passes with no errors. here's the speccy snapshot, I ran it for an hour:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IF4ufvyze5DVTQwnfP76PHX 

And in the zip are the minitoolbox results and the two new minidumps since I last posted. 

EDIT: I don't think the hyperlink is working, copy and paste to the address works fine though. 

Attached Files

Edited by travis373, 08 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi

All the crash dumps shows different stop codes and blames legit Windows files as the reason behind the crashes. This is not the typical behavior of a driver issue. Please follow the below steps and let me know your findings.

:step1: Update SSD firmware.

There are Windows file system driver related errors can be seen in multiple crashes. You have a SSD dive from OCZ which is famous for crappy firmwares which leads to BSOD and crashes. Please update it by running OCZ toolbox.

OCZ Toolbox : http://ocz.com/consumer/download/firmware/OCZToolbox_v4.4.0.4497.zip

User guide : http://ocz.com/consumer/download/firmware/ocz_toolbox_firmware_update_guide_windows.pdf

The update is came in two parts so you need to run the tool to times.

From official site :

Warning: This is a two step firmware update process for firmware older than 1.4.1.2. Otherwise it is one step process.

1. Run OCZ Toolbox. Toolbox will update firmware to 1.4.1.2 first.
2. Shutdown and restart the system.
3. Run OCZ Toolbox again, Toolbox will now update firmware to latest firmware revision.
4. This completes the firmware update.

Source : http://ocz.com/consumer/download/firmware

:step2: Load BIOS defaults.

To revert any accidental changes, enter BIOS setup and load "default values".

:step3: Update Chipset drivers.

1. Remove current version of AMD catalyst control center and all related utilities from Control Panel --> Programs first.

2. Download and install latest chipset driver from the below link.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-9_win7_win8_32-64_sb.exe

3. If you have a AMD graphic card, update the driver from the below link.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe     

:step4:  Perform a memory isolation test.

If the issue remains, remove either one of the RAM module and run the system only one connected at a time. Check whether it blue screens.Repeat the isolation test with both modules separately. This will detect filed modules which are undetectable during Memtest86+.

Edit :

The Speccy link you posted is not working. Please update it with your next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 October 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#12 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

here's the speccy link, try copy and paste into the address bar the hyperlink didn't work for me:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IF4ufvyze5DVTQwnfP76PHX

Thank you so much for your help, I'll try the steps you suggested and get back to you if the problem persists.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hi

Temperature readings and HDD SMART data looks okay. So please proceed to the steps and post your findings.

#14 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi

All updates done. The firmware was up to date but I did the update anyway just in case. If it crashes again I'll let you know and run the memory isolation test. Thanks for all your help

#15 travis373

travis373
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi again.

So this is still happening. I've tried the isolation test today and it BSOD'd with both of my RAM sticks. It seems to be almost exclusively system_service_exception or Kmode_exception_not_handled. Also if it helps I've noticed that my chrome webpages tend to crash just before it blue screens. I think I might buy some new RAM to see if it helps. Attached is a zip with a whole new set of minidumps to. Thanks for your help. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users