Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader XI won't open pdf files on computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluekitty

bluekitty

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

The newest version of Adobe reader will not give me access to my pdf files in my document folder. I get an error message that says access denied. I have done nothing that would have changed any settings. I have change the protected mode settings in preferences, that was the only info/help I saw elsewhere online. That did not work. I did install on older 9.5 version and that works fine. Is there something else I can try, I would prefer to have the newer version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluekitty

bluekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Forgot to mention I am using Windows 7

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

This appears to be a known issue just about every time Adobe Reader updates to a new version. The known fixes are to change the protected mode settings (which you've done), or make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader (open Reader XI, click Help, Check for Updates). If that doesn't fix it, you may want to roll back to an earlier version like 9.5 or 10 (as you've also already done), uninstall the current version and wait for Adobe to work out the bugs in v.11. :mellow:

#4 buckers8

buckers8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm probably being a div, but maybe this will help you. I have just right clicked on a PDF file in my docs and chosen 'Open with', then 'Choose default program'... and selected 'Adobe Reader' - the other option was firefox? for some reason...and make sure 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file...' is ticked.....that has let me open all my PDFs offline now...I hope

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you are using Adobe outside of a company environment, take a look at PDF Xchange viewer. I dumped Adobe years ago and never looked back. It's free to use even in a commercial environment.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

It is still updated but there is a PDF Xchange Editor that has superseded it.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

PDF-XChange Viewer gets my vote too. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users