Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup repair loop

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 arniesarnie

arniesarnie

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi people I am experiencing the startup repair loop which i know is not uncommon, however I have not seen a post where its exactly what im experiencing. When I boot up my laptop (a Packard Bell EasyNote Tk) it takes me to screen asking me if want to start normally or go to startnup repair. When starting normally it fails and goes to startup repair. When choosing startup repair it just hangs, the bar just continuously going left to right. When going down the f8 on startup route, all 3 options, safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt it says loading windows files at to9 of screen then says windows is loading files at bottom of screen then it goes to startup repair. This also happens when selecting last known configuration. I have not backed up any files, I have know windows 7 disc, but determined to sort this out myself rather than put in for repairs. Any help will be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

1. Please let us know what Windows version you have and if it's 32- or 64-bit.
2. Is the computer bootable in any mode?

Hold on there....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the reply! As I said im a bit of a novice. On Advanced boot options it says at top "choose advanced options for: Windows 7 so im assuming the o/s is windows 7. Not to sure how to check what bit it is?

#4 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Also it does not seem to boot in any mode

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Just be patient. Someone will get back to you :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

According to:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Packard-Bell-EasyNote-TK85-JN-105GE-Notebook.81171.0.html

There's a pretty good chance you have win7 x64.

#7 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

OK, is there any way I can confirm ? I cant get past startup repair at all

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Have you tried getting into the command prompt at Startup Repair?

Sometimes it can be tricky. Basically as soon as you see the Startup Scan box, IMMEDIATELY hit the Cancel button. You should get a message that states "Windows could not repair this computer automatically..." and at the bottom of the box you'll see two options in blue:

startup-repair-finished.jpg

Select "View diagnostic and repair details"

windows-7-system-recovery-command-prompt

There are several options available. You can try a System Restore, which will roll back your computer to the last time you did a restore point (or an app did). BUT you must have System Restore enabled!

A System Image Recovery wipes out your current drive and reloads the computer back to the state it was when you received it, ie, Factory Settings.

The Command Prompt right now is your best bet (to keep from losing data). If you select it, try entering "chkdsk c: /p" without the quotes and let it scan the hard drive for errors. You can attempt to fix the errors by changing the /p to a /r .

#9 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your help. When I select "view diagnostic and repair details" a box appears with startup repair at the top the startup repair diagnosis and repair log. Then goes on to detail last successful boot time, number of repair attempts etc. The only option available is to close the box. I do not get the system recovery options screen in your screenshot. When I select the other option "view advanced optionsnfor system recovery and support" I end up with the grey/white background of startup repair screen

#10 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Actually, the blank grey/white screen has now changed to the system recovery options. Im now doin system restore

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Sorry, I should have double-checked my post- you're supposed to select "View Advanced Options...." I was looking at wrong one :P

I assume you don't have an install disc?

How long have you let it run in Startup Repair? Sometimes it will take an hour.

Awesome. Hopefully that will help you!

#12 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hmmm says system restore did not complete successfully. Details: system restore failed while copying registry from the restore point. The registry in the restore point was damaged and could not be restored.

Am I in a whole world of trouble :) ????

#13 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Also, I do not have an install disc

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not yet. Go back and try the Command Prompt option. This time when you see the black box, type "sfc /scannow". This is a System File Checker program that will fix any error in your Windows folder. This will not remove or delete any of your personal data.

If you haven't yet, at this point I would do "chkdsk c: /r" to scan for hard drive errors. This could take hours, but if it finds errors you'll have a clue to what's going on.

Edited by Netghost56, 08 October 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#15 arniesarnie

arniesarnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks. When I run sfc scannow it says there is a sytem repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again.

When i run chkdsk c: /r it runs through scan and dispays results, these include it saying windows has checked the file system and found no problems. Last thing says is failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Is this good or bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users