Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead HDD / install issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AnonymousUncle

AnonymousUncle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hello forum users! 

This is my first post, so pleas excuse me if I make any mistakes. 

I have an Acer Ultrabook S3 which I only got at Christmas. 

Last week while at work it suddenly wouldn't power up and when I got home I got a disk error message. 

The disk error message simply said that I had a disk error and to press CTRL - ALT - DEL to restart. 

I decided that as the message mentioned nothing about data that I would simply reinstall windows. So I downloaded Windows 8 (don't kill me) and put it onto a USB. 

I changed the boot up settings through the bios to boot from USB and formatted the HDD so that it didn't create a Windows.old folder. 

Now during install the installation gets stuck on copying windows files, it doesn't even get past 0%. 

Is this down to a dead HDD or something else? 

Any advice / guidance would be grateful! 

Thanks a lot 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

OK, windows vista/7/8 has (in every system I've seen) a recovery partition that has all the original factory software. Instead of downloading windows online (and I wonder where you got it from?) you could have accessed and used.

Now that you've formatted the drive I believe that partition may be gone.

You need to look and see what is currently on that hard drive either through using an install disc and entering Startup Repair, or physically mounting the hard drive into a desktop system as a secondary or slave drive and opening it under Explorer, which may not work with windows 8.

If you can get to Startup Repair, I would select the Command Prompt option and enter "dir c:" without the quotes. If there's any data on the drive you'll get a result.

You can also enter "chkdsk c: /r" (again without quotes) to check and repair and bad sectors on the drive.

#3 AnonymousUncle

AnonymousUncle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I ended up getting the click of death and I bought windows 8 :) 

Going to have to sort it at work tomorrow. 

Thanks for your help :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users