Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery from a Dead Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Hi all, can you please help me? My hard drive died. I had a Toshiba drive, SATA II, 4.5 years old.

Here's how it happened. Last week my laptop shut down twice when it was in hibernation. After that, while I was playing some music I heard the music getting stuck and then there was a loud tone, which used to happen let's say, several times a year. I did a forced shutdown and turned it on again, but there was an error, i got a bluescreen saying: unmountable boot volume (stop code: OxOOOOOOED), and then it restarted again. I've tried system repair, system restore, last good configuration, safe mode etc., nothing!

What could I do to recover my files? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Easiest way would be to physically remove the hard drive and put it in another system as a secondary. You won't be able to boot from that drive, but if you boot the system up the files should be visible in Windows Explorer.

Good Luck!

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

The drive is already physically removed, I'm getting a new one put in my laptop. How can I put my old one in another system as a secondary? Could I do it by myself and can it be done on a regular notebook? Thank you!

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

No. It's usually done with a desktop system. I've heard of it being done in notebooks with 2 hard drive bays, but I wouldn't advise it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users