Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the most important Windows .dll files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkritual

darkritual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this question in but whatever.

What are the most important .dll files Windows use?

I'm making a Uplink like hacking game and one of the feature i'm working on would allow you to "destroy" a machine by deleting key Windows .dll files.
The problem is, I'm not quite sure what those files are.

So far all i have is Kernel32.dll.
What else could i add?

Thanks.

Edited by darkritual, 07 October 2013 - 06:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

BleepingComputer.com > Terms of Use

you represent and warrant that you:

• A) Obey the Law. You represent and warrant that your use of this Site in Service will not breach any applicable law or this Agreement, and you will not use this Site and Service for any illegal purposes.

• vii. will not post or submit Contributions that constitute, contain, install or attempt to install or promote ... malware ...

#3 darkritual

darkritual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

BleepingComputer.com > Terms of Use

you represent and warrant that you:

• A) Obey the Law. You represent and warrant that your use of this Site in Service will not breach any applicable law or this Agreement, and you will not use this Site and Service for any illegal purposes.

• vii. will not post or submit Contributions that constitute, contain, install or attempt to install or promote ... malware ...

How is making a hacking related game against the law and/or promoting malwares?

It's quite sad when the majority of people immediately assume you're going to do something bad with the information given and start acting like they're the Internet police.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, i got my answer : Ntdll.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, user32.dll, system32.dll, hal.dll

Edited by darkritual, 07 October 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm making a Uplink like hacking game and one of the feature i'm working on would allow you to "destroy" a machine by deleting key Windows .dll files.

If this is just a scenario for a game that does not actually affect the computer of the one playing it, there is nothing wrong with it (legally), but I hardly think this is the right forum to find assistance, as we usually focus on repairing computers, not destroying them.

As a general statement, I do not consider deleting critical Windows files a game, if you'd like to pursue that avenue I suggest to take it elsewhere or maybe experiment with it on your own computer to see how much "fun" it is to recover from it.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 darkritual

darkritual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

If this is just a scenario for a game that does not actually affect the computer of the one playing it, there is nothing wrong with it (legally), but I hardly think this is the right forum to find assistance, as we usually focus on repairing computers, not destroying them.

Alright and no, it doesn't harm the player's computer.

All i would do is use the name of the file inside my game.
It could even be called birthdaycake.dll but i want my game to be as realistic as possible so, i'm searching for real names.

Edited by darkritual, 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

It depends a bit on the OS version you want to simulate and the effect (failure to boot, useless computer). I guess this is important for you to know as well. I would suggest to look for TechNet articles to see what files does windows use at what stage, this may help you narrow it down. All system files are essential in one way or another, but the effect on deletion greatly depends on what the file's function on a computer is.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

There's Dark Signs, HackTheGame, Hacker Simulator, Hacker Evolution, and a few more already. Have a try and get some ideas??

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users