Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reinstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Werval1

Werval1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm working on a Dell 1525 with Vista. The system crashed and is calling for a reinstall of cd. 

I received the disc from Dell to do the install, but CD/DVD doesn't run disc. I switched CD/DVD to #1 in boot order, but that drive doesn't show up in the boot menu.

Is there something I can do to make that drive work? BTW there is no USB listed in the boot menu either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Did you save the changes in the boot order (F10) before exiting?

Did you make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device, and the hdd the second device?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yes, I did save the changes after moving CD/DVD to the top of the boot order. I also re-checked to make sure it remained that way. The CD/DVD doesn't show up in the boot menu at all.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

The following is an excerpt from instructions found at this Dell website.

Step 4: Reinstall the operating system from the OS Setup Disk.

1      Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart your computer. If the message Press any key to boot from the CD... appears, press a key to continue booting to the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I can appreciate that you are trying to help. The boot MENU when it does come up, does not contain the CD/DVD (or any variation) as a boot option. It's missing from the menu. I do have CD/DVD listed as the 1st boot item in set-up.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Please use the link I provided in my last post and read through their suggestions.  I don't know what all you have or haven't tried, but this may be of some help.

You could also just simply uninstall Firefox and then download and install it again.

#7 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with the Firefox browser. The computer doesn't boot.

I have another computer running Vista. I may switch the drive in the working computer to see if I can boot onto the recovery disc. After changing the boot order of course.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

I obviously mixed two topics, you received information which should have gone to another topic.  Sometimes this happens in the fray of multitasking.

#9 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Are you remembering, that my intention is to reformat the drive from the old vista computer?

I'm trying to reinstall Vista to the hdd that won't boot. The boot menu is not working properly on the broken computer, as it doesn't include CD/DVD as an option.

So I'm thinking that if I install Vista on to the drive that doesn't load, using the CD drive on a different computer, that this should solve the problem. Am I wrong? And if so, then what is the solution.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

How ever you go about installing the operating system, it must be done in the computer with the motherboard you will be using the hdd in.  Otherwise you will introduce the plug and play IDs from the second motherboard and will not be able to tell which IDs to use and usually will fail, if not immediately, not too far down the road. 

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Have you tried the CD/DVD Rom on another computer to verify that it does get detected?

It should have a simple SATA connector which can be used in another system.

#12 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Madman, I'll try putting a different cd rom in the damaged laptop.

#13 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

With a different DVD drive, I got the same result.

I do  have an external drive enclosure, do I have any options if I pull the hdd and look at it on another system?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

How is the lap top damaged can you post pictures of it? You may not be able to salvage this one due to the fact that the CD-ROM controller is not working.

#15 Werval1

Werval1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

This computer had the ransomeware virus on it. It would not boot into safe mode of any sort. The system at that point was calling for a set up CD.

So I ran the sophos bootable antivirus CD. The CD found and stopped many instances of virus.

Now though, when I try to run the Vista re-install, the CD drive does initialize, but doesn't run. The drive as I mentioned doesn't show up in the boot menu. But it does show up in the F2 set-up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users