Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Baffled by a Dell XPS/Dimension XPS Gen 2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Well, been trying to fix this for a client and it isn't booting either like the HP I previously posted about. Again, no POST nor signal to the monitor. Only thing that was added was a new working HDD. What the machine does is make two quick beeping sounds and on the back the "A B C D" lights are all green besides the "D" which is yellow. Which when looking at the manual states to check the cables if anything is loose which here is the PDF link...

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/dimension-g2_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

I also disconnected and remounted everything to see if thia clears up, nothing. CMOS jumper, nothing... New CMOS battery, nothing... So, I'm at a loss.. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

Odd alright.

I was going to ask if you were dealing with SATA or IDE drives, idea being misconfigured jumpers, but it should still post.

Tried, the usual... 1 stick mem, CPU, videocard, power connectors, and nothing else? No other components hooked to the power supply.   Doublecheck your CMOS jumper.  Go by the motherboard silkscreen if pin labels are different from the manual.

That is about an unhelpful problem/troubleshooting description from Dell.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Being that it stated that it was a cable issue I didn't start reseating PCI/AGP cards nor the CPU. I did check all cables on the PC both data and power alike. Even though the troubleshooting is vauge we have to consider the PC is pretty ancient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users