Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghosts In My Recycle Bin??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hey guys!

I've got a problem that is brand new to me. Never even heard of it before.

This evening while sitting in front of my pc, I noticed that my recycle bin icon showed that there were files in there. I hadn't deleted anything since I last ran ccleaner on 35 passes, so I opened it to see what was in there. That's when I found files that hadn't been in the bin for 2 and 3 months. I run ccleaner almost every single day. Is my recycle bin haunted? What can cause this? I've looked for answers, and apparently this is undeard of. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Try doing Defragment and Disk Cleanup. The reference to the file is deleted, but they are actually still on the computer. The space for the files is simply made available, but it may not get overwritten.

Regards......

#3 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I defrag on schedule every Wednesday, and run Ccleaner daily. And these files weren't in my recycle bin moments before; they just popped back up. I will run a Disk Cleanup, but I'm wondering if this could be a sign of a deeper issue?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Bleeping computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners or optimizers. 

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Ccleaner has some useful tools, but to use it daily is overkill.  I definitely would not use the registry cleaner.  If it is used incorrectly it can render your computer inoperable.

Edited by dc3, 12 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Please take a screenshot of the recycle bin and post it here.

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

You might try recreating the Index, by typing Indexing Options in the search bar then select Advanced on the Index Settings Tab, then select Rebuild.

Then let it run.

Regards..........

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Another simple option to try would be to right click on the recycle bin and click on Don't move files to the recycle bin.  Remove files immediately when deleted.

If this issue persists your computer may be infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users