Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible attack with Web Attack: Red Exploit Kit Website

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arc14716

arc14716

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

I frequently visit a website called comicbookresoures.com for news on the comic book industry and related topics. I have a Norton SafeWeb toolbar installed in my broswer on Internet Explorer 8. Yesterday, the SafeWeb icon displayed a caution icon. When I clicked it, it said that the website had a report on a virus threat. The report can be referenced as follows:

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.comicbookresources.com%2Fnews&product=N360&version=20.4.0.40&layout=OEM&lang=0901&source=toolbar

So, out of a sense of caution, I ran scans with Norton 360 (quick and full).  It found and removed tracking cookies.  I ran a scan with Norton Power Eraser and it fixed something with the registry.  Also, I ran scans with TDSS Killer and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  Nothing turned up there.  I also ran TFC to clear out the temp files.

So far, my PC has been functioning normally.  Is there anything else I should do just in case there is something else hiding on my PC that I don't know anything about?

((If you want, I can also forward the logs from Norton 360 and NPE.  I just need to know how I can access and post those logs for review)).

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm nor surprised.

Two days ago my web site was marked by Norton with "Caution".

Here is a funny (or tragic) part.

It was marked with "Caution" because of a few links leading to.....BleepingComputer, specifically to couple of registry fixes posted by....BC owner, Mr. Grinler.

On a top of it it happened for the second time this year for the very same links.

To make things even more pathetic re-evaluation link at Norton site didn't work so I had to email them.

They fixed it next day but do you want to trust them?

I won't.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Wait a minute.

So you're saying there's nothing really wrong with my PC and there's nothing really wrong with the website?

So why is there a caution/warning up in the first place?

Edited by arc14716, 07 October 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

I visited the site only after Broni posted that, and my M.S.E. did not move ......

Also scans with MBAM and SAS show nothing ......

So I will not comment past that -

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

WOT lists it as "Excellent": http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/comicbookresources.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=popup-donuts

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

I revisited the site, and did note a small comment from Norton Re: Caution.

Result of the Norton comment = "Web sites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.
The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system."

But my WOT and other items (WinPatrol etc) showed nothing .....

occasionally deals with more adult themed books

This was the only comment I found, but not about the site itself -

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

This what Norton didn't like on my site....LOL

post-3174-0-76835700-1380637383.jpg

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users