Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My internet has been "partially" disconnecting lately


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 toddbeakman

toddbeakman

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I am living in Mexico, and my ISP is Telmex.  It's a DSL connection, and the modem and router are combined in one.  I've lived in this apartment for several months and this issue only started happening recently.

 

Randomly throughout the day, my internet will partially cut out.  On average it happens maybe 2-3 times an hour, and last 30-60 seconds.  Web-pages will not load (chrome gives me the error "oops this page appears to be broken).  However my connection isn't entirely severed, because things like Skype will still work during this period.  I have also been playing online poker, and been still connected and seeing hands play out during the downtime.

 

This isn't a problem with my computer specifically, because my roommate's computer and my ipad also won't work when these disconnections occur.

 

I downloaded a program called InternetConnectivityMonitor and it would register the disconnections when I experienced them.  However I was simultaneously doing a ping test (run > ping -t 8.8.8.8) and it never registered a disconnection even when i was experiencing them.

 

Any suggestions?  Thanks



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Since it's happening to all the devices connected to the modem/router -- including the iPad -- that suggests it's either a problem with the modem/router itself, or with Telmex's service. They may be throttling your bandwidth, or occassionally blocking some of the IP addresses you are connected to.

Did Telmex supply the router? Can you access the user interface?



#3 toddbeakman

toddbeakman
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

Yes, they did supply the router/modem.  I don't know howto access the user interface, but maybe?  How would I find that out?



#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig. Scroll down until you find the address for the default gateway -- usually 192.168.X.X. Type the default gateway IP address into an Internet browser URL window. That should bring up the user interface screen, or at least the sign in. The username and password may be saved on the router somewhere, or it was given to by Telmex.

 

I don't know what kind of router it is, but there may be some built-in diagnostic tools you could run, or a list of IP addresses that are being blocked (it may be under the heading QoS).

 

If none of that is a possibility, you may just have to call Telmex and find out what they are doing.



#5 toddbeakman

toddbeakman
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

And we're in!

 

The modem is HG530.

 

What should I be looking for or doing in the user interface?  I found the QoS section and there wasn't much there, at the top it said it was deactivated.



#6 toddbeakman

toddbeakman
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

This is what we have to work with... the menu on the left hand side:
 
[state]
 
System Information
Service Information
Statistics
 
[basic]
 
ADSL Mode
WAN Configuration
LAN Configuration
DHCP
IP Route
Wireless LAN
ATM Traffic
 
[advanced]
 
RIP
Firewall
filter
QoS
Portmapping
zone
ACL
TR069
UPnP
DDNS
Restricted
Device Management
DNS assigning

 

[Tools]
 
System Management
diagnosis
Firmware Update
Restore and back up
System Log
reboot


#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

  • BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

At least we know it's not QoS, which is used to allocate bandwidth to certain programs basically by choking back bandwidth to other things. The modem relies on drivers installed on the PC. Make sure those are up to date.

 

I'm not fully familiar with that type of modem, but I'd look under Statistics to see if the disconnections are being logged there, and any error or other messages that are appearing. Check the system log as well for the same thing.

 

Not sure what "restricted" is for, but can't hurt to poke around in there to see if in fact something is being restricted. Same with filter -- make sure nothing's being filtered.

 

Under diagnosis, if you can run something to test the modem and the connection, do so.

 

If none of that fixes it, it's probably time to call Telmex.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users