Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Crackle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Beginning last week I noticed that my HP laptop produced a sound that made me think something was broken off and rattling around inside. As the days progressed it started to sound more like a crackle (I wish I could better describe the sound but that's the best thing I can come up with at this time).

It doesn't do it all the time, which makes me believe that something is not loose and rattling around. The laptop has not been dropped or slammed down on any surface. I'm very careful with it.

I've narrowed down the general vicinity of the noise. When looking at the keyboard it's on the left side where tab, cap lock, etc. are located.

There is no rhyme or reason to when the crackling occurs, the length of time it does it or the loudness of the crackle. I've heard it when shifting the laptop, when I've picked it up to move it, and when I'm not doing anything except surfing the internet.

Does anyone have ANY ideas what may be causing this sound to be emmanating from the innards of the laptop?

No, it is not under warranty-that ended on Aug. 3, 2013.

If necessary I can call my cousin who works for HP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

What's the model? That way we can look up what the internal components are in that area of the laptop and try to narrow it down. If there is a vent over there, it's possible that there is something in the fan.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

HP 2000-2a20NR Notebook PC

The noise is centered around the side vent. Pics of my laptop

laptop-bottom.png

laptop-side.png

You could be on to something. According to the schematic for my laptop #7 is the fan/heat sink assembly and it does appear to be at that vent.

laptop-fan.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 October 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#4 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

there should be a small panel on the bottom that you can unscrew and remove.

first turn off the laptop, remove the battery, and then take off that panel. try blowing compressed air into the fan vent. or if that's unavailable, exhale very hard into the fan and see if it rattles then or even if it dislodges the object if it is in there.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users