Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome has double underlined words which links to monstermarketplace.com etc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 D1n0_man

D1n0_man

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi there,

Hope someone can help me with an annoying issue I have.

System: Windows 7 x64

Since yesterday, sites I usually visit now have random key words double underlined in red font (today it is blue font).  When hovering over the link it brings up a message box and links to sites such as:

monstermarketplace.com - (the main link site)

enigmasoftware.com

coupondealpro.com

cutpricecarrentals.com

I did have Sophos anti-virus running on the computer, and this dud not pick up on anything.  I have done a few searches on the net and looked at similar monstermarketplace.com removal tips, and also Yontoo removal, but there were no signs of files etc related to these.

Thus in the process of trying to solve this I have run the following;

AdwCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

tdskiller

ComboFix

JRT

No joy with these.

I have removed Sophos off my machine at this stage.

Thus hope someone can assist me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Updated information in this topic: About In-text advertising: In-Text Ads & How To Remove Them

This is called in-text advertising and it is very common. Kontera, Text Enhance and Vibrant are are some of the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

The double-underlined word is actually a keyword embedded within text of a web page. The keyword is intended to provide consumers with information that is related to what they are reading. When hovering your mouse over this keyword, a pop up ad is displayed with a preview of the ad the text links to. This process works by allowing webmasters to insert JavaScript code into web pages that displays relevant advertisements from an inventory of advertisers. This script scans a web page and dynamically modifies keywords an advertiser has targeted on the page and double-underlines them. The words and the double-lines under them are usually blue in color but it is not uncommon for them to appear in various other colors such as red or green.

In-text advertising is a form of contextual advertising commonly used to promote business and generate revenue to offset the cost of maintaining a web site each time a website visitor clicks on an in-text ad. Advertisements from in-text ads also help to generate targeted traffic to a website and improve their natural search engine ranking.

Delivering ads to users based on their preferences. Adware programs analyze a user's Web surfing habits to determine the type of merchandise they are likely to purchase. As a result of the analysis, "contextual ads" are made to pop up periodically. Contextual marketing is widely implemented by search engines. They display ads on the results pages based on the key words users enter for a search. In addition, contextual marketing is available for Web sites in general. The service offers to place ads on pages that are geared to the audience likely to visit the site.

Definition of: contextual marketing

What is In-text Advertising?
In-text advertising is a monetization method that has taken the affiliate marketing world by storm. As long as you've got content, we've got a commission check with your name on it! Intextual simply scans your pages, and then selects ads that go along with the subject matter. Users will only see the ads when they hover over double hyperlinked keywords that are impossible to miss. Even if someone accidentally engages an In-text ad, the widget will disappear after a few seconds without interaction or the user can simply "X" out manually.

AdMedia: Publish In-Text Ads and Make Money Online

Text-Enhance is a premium service offered to you by our publishers. We work with various websites as well as software products to help them provide value to their users. Please remember that if you are seeing Text-Enhance links, this does not mean you are "infected" or are having issues with your computer. It also does not mean websites you view have been "hacked". If you are seeing these links, it means that the website you are on or a piece of software on your computer has decided to offer you this service...If you would like to disable these links from showing up, you can opt-out here.

What is Text-Enhance?Most companies which utilize In-Text Ads have an Opt-Out procedure listed in their privacy statements or learn more about pages.

Example 1:

Prefer to not see In-Text Ads on this site? Click here to opt-out

Learn more about Infolinks <-scroll down to

Example 2:

5. Controlling the Use of Your Information and Opting-Out

Vibrant Privacy Statement
Vibrant Opt-Out Procedure

Example 3:

If you prefer that Kontera not collect any information about your website visits for the purpose of delivering targeted advertising, you may opt out by clicking here.

Kontera Privacy Statement

Do you want to disable Kontera ads?
To disable, click the link below and then refresh your internet page. If you delete or refresh your cookies, Kontera's ads will be re-activated automatically. Click here to disable.

Kontera Ad Choices

Since these advertising websites use Cookies, opting-out is much easier than having to delete cookies or run a series of anti-spyware scans. In some cases you can disable In-Text Ads by hovering over one of the double-underlined words with your mouse and clicking the small "?" (question mark) at the top or bottom of the popup box. This will take you to a page that explains the ads and allow you to disable them (opt-out) using another cookie. In other cases, if you click on the Advertiser's name - i.e. AdChoices - you are taken to a page which contains opt-out information. If you just delete or refresh your cookies, the in-text advertising will be re-activated and the ads will reappear. You can also add these advertising companies to Internet Explorer's Restricted sites or disable them in Firefox with third party tools so the sites cannot be accessed.

Also be aware that there are software programs and browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins which can be installed and used to display in-text advertisements.

Linksicle offers a free search and translation utility in exchange for agreement to install the software and receive advertising. In order to keep Linksicle free you may see banner, text, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial, video, coupon, and/or in-text advertisements through the software on websites where features operate and during general internet usage...To keep use of Linksicle free you will see ads delivered by the software on websites where Linksicle’s features operate and while you browse the internet.

About Linksicle Advertising
How do I uninstall Linksicle?

You may be seeing ads as part of our advertising solution for Internet properties (such as websites or web browser extensions). This solution provides content at no cost to you and displays advertisements during your web browsing experience. It was installed by you, or someone who uses your computer.

You currently have the following plugin installed...To quickly remove all software and associated advertising provided by this product, you may uninstall the program from "Add/Remove programs" on your Windows computer.

Text Enhance Uninstall Instructions
Text Enhance Browser Extensions Uninstall Instructions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 D1n0_man

D1n0_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

quietman7,

Excellent................ problem solved by clicking on the ? mark and opting out.  Not sure how it opted me in in the first instance, but thankfully the annoying issue is resolved.

Thank you!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

@Quietman7

I just had to bump this and say Thank you SO Much for the above information. I had been so frustrated with Chrome and the recent in-text advertising that I never even opened Chrome even though I preferred it to IE. I thought I was infected with Adware or something else since I had never seen it before, and it does not do it when I use IE. 

Noknojon (in another thread) linked to your explanation here regarding the underlined words, and voila!!! Explanations AND the OPT OUT question mark SOLUTION!!! omg OMG I was literally afraid to even hover on those words thinking i would get something else bad if i accidentally clicked the boxes that opened. I had no idea until I read everything you wrote that I could simply click the question mark and opt out...which I did for both nav-links and Tuvaro are the two so far that I opted out of. 

So thank you again, very much, and I hope this solves most of my issues with Chrome, it was very annoying, and I do not want to see those underlined words that are links anymore!! Now if i could just make the twitter flashing ads go away that only show up in Chrome......sigh.  

Oh those flashing twitter things might just look somethin like this!!!~~ 

:smilers:  :smilers:  :smilers:

LOL thanks again so much. ~stolen

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

#7 cynthiarolle

cynthiarolle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

Quietman7,

Thank you so very much for your help. "Kontera's" opt-out link did  not work but the other did, will continue the "clean-up." 

Cin... 

Edited by cynthiarolle, 14 April 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

:thumbup2:

#9 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Quietman for these useful information! :thumbsup:

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

You're welcome.

#11 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,788 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

Just found this page.

Read the information.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510043/chrome-has-double-underlined-words-which-links-to-monstermarketplacecom-etc/

See if you have an opting out solution as described in the article.

#12 painfullregistry

painfullregistry

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

@quietman 7, just found this and wanted to say thanks again! You helped me out back several months ago on another subject.

It's people like you who make the internet a better place for all!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

You're welcome.

I appreciate your thoughtful comments and taking the time to express your sentiments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users