Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format Properlly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XCLR8

XCLR8

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

Alright this is my problem. I offered a friend of mine at work that I can take out his viruses and pop-ups(Or get rid most of them as I can). And I noticed that e was running, Windows XP Home. I decided to format his pc and make it XP Pro. Now, a friend of mine told me he had an All Windows DVD and told me to use it because XP is in it. I accepted to sue it, and now, int eh middle of teh process it says the disc might be currupted or is mising a file. o_O So now, every time I reboot the pc I see this blue screen of "Welcome to Installing Windows XP Pro." After a day of trying to figure out how to fix this, I remembered I forgot I bought myself an XP Pro service pack 2. I popped in the cd, and now it tells me to insert the cd of service pack 1. :thumbsup: I feel so damn bad because I told him I can fix it, when I did more harm than done. I KNOW This thing is so damn easy to do. But for some reason I noticed that the pc is not wanting to read the cd drive. MY friends even tell me that if you have a windows cd in the drive it will ask you to format it or whatnot. Another friend told me to go to:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

And to use the boot disc there. I ran out of blank cd's and the tower I am using now, does not have a floppy drive. :flowers: So I am planning to buy some blank cd's this weekend, but wanted to ask you guys. Is there any other way to fix this? I tried going into the recovery section and typing:

FORMAT C:

Nothing...I hope one of you computer guru's know how to resolve this properlly...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:21 PM

Now, a friend of mine told me he had an All Windows DVD and told me to use it because XP is in it.

Would you like to buy a bridge?

You cannot install a free copy of Windows XP. You need a complete XP install with a license key. You have to pay for it. You don't get Windows XP from your friends. You get it from the store. You cannot use an XP Home license key with XP Pro.

Now, if you have a real XP Home disk that you can use for the install, and the license key to the original installation, you're all set. Just delete the partition that Windows is on using the XP setup and re-install.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

Download the appropriate Windows boot disks to match your version of the unused Windows XP Pro retail version CD here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

If it has SP2, download the ones for Win XP Pro Sp2, etc.

After you run the setup boot disks you will be ready to install XP Pro using the XP Pro retail version disk you have and the new, unused 25 digit key number that you will need to validate it.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

Hello, The six-in-one version of Windows that you have is entirely Hacked and really should not be used but if you choose to use it, the software should install. Installing it will do you no good Microsoft has just started a new venture take a read on the article thru Washingtom Post:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...?referrer=email

Besides Windows Update will not work if you go to the site.

Unfortunately you will have to go the right way and you are getting a restart the installation every time you reboot windows and that is because of the failed installation.

Enthusiast suggested to get the boot disks and that is good advice. You will have to use the original software to install this system along with the original key code should be located on the side of the computer. If you do not have this you will have to purchase a new copy of the licensed software.

The road you took in my opinion is one that a lot of people take and you will have to excuse me but it is the wrong one. Formatting is a last resort and in this instance trying to do a repair of Windows probably would have helped but you never know.

Check with the computer manufacturer for one of two things.

1. How to do a complete recovery of the system if there are recovery software partition - If there is you are going to be very lucky.

2. Ask the manufacturer how much recovery software will cost for this computer.

Next time this happens please come here and leave a post. Oh here is an srticle you might like and I suggest printing it out and reading it.

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

Have a good day

#5 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

Sorry it took me a while to reply, but I just noticed that it requires floppy disks. The pc I currently have doesn't have a floppy drive. So what do I do now?

Edited by XCLR8, 05 May 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

You either need to wipe the drive and install the original XP Home using the key that came with it, usually affixed to the side of the computer, or obtain a real retail version of XP Pro. You've quite probably destroyed any data your friend had. It would be possible to get the data off the drive with the proper tools, such as a UBCD boot disk/operating system and a CD-burner or a thumb drive.

#7 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

Thats the whole idea I've been trying to do. But I do not know how to wipe out the drive. The only I know is to pop in the windows cd, but it doesn't work this way. Unless you know another way to wipe out this drive?

Edited by XCLR8, 05 May 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#8 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

OK, I found out why this crap didn't want to read the cd drive. In the bios under boot tab there was a selction for the cd drive. I selected it, turns out it was disabled. So I enabled it and I had this cd in there to wipe everything out.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

After I downloaded this iso I burned it to a cd and poped it into the pc. Went into teh Partition tools and used FDISK. Deleted partition and rebooted. Poped in the Windows cd and its currently installing. :D Thanks again to you all. :D

Edited by XCLR8, 06 May 2006 - 12:17 AM.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

Yup, that's a good way to do it. Theoretically, you should have been able to delete the partition with the XP disk and make new partitions. But UBCD or its equivalent is an excellent way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users