Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Malwarebytes crash my system?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm such a putz.  In Task Manager I did an "end task" for Malwarebytes just to see what would happen, and my computer immediately froze up.  I had to shut her down and reboot.  Which brings me to the question, why is my little defender MB active anyway? since I didn't think the free version provided real time security?  If I go into "protection" in MB and uncheck "Enable file system protection" and "Enable Malicious Website Browsing" will that stop all MB processes? and if I do that, would that compromise any manual scans I might be inclined to do?

I'm like a mischievous child with this new computer of mine.  Always poking and prodding just to see. :bananas:

Neophyte

Okay, I just checked and found out about the 14 day trial for the pro version, so that explains the real-time protection.  But let me ask anyway, why did my system crash?

Edited by ComputerNeophyte, 06 October 2013 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

It would not cause your system to crash by simply ending the task

#3 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

It would not cause your system to crash by simply ending the task

I guess I should tell my computer that, then--LOL   Anyway, crash it did, cold as a corpse.  I guess the one sure solution is, don't do an end task on MB.

Neophyte

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

it probably froze up for other issues then just ending task on MB.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Edited by cryptodan, 06 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Malwarebytes service (mbamservice.exe) runs in kernel mode, is set to Automatic and will still show in Task Manager. This is normal...installing a service is not uncommon for many security scanning programs. Even with the protection module disabled so it does not load when Windows starts, the service will remain active and running in order to execute scheduled updates and perform scans. Mbamscheduler.exe should also be running in Task Manager.

Mbamservice.eve should not be running if you using the free version AND never accepted the trial offer. If you accepted the trial and choose to continue with the free version after the trial expired, mbamservice.exe will remain active. See this Malwarebytes discussion topic in regards to mbamservice.exe.

If mbamservice.exe is running in Task Manager and you forcefully terminate that process, it is not uncommon for the system to freeze or lock up. If fact, killing any process that runs in kernel mode has a high probability of causing system instability. See this Malwarebytes discussion topic: How to stop MBAMService? and the following quote by exile360.

You can simply select the option to not have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware start with Windows. The service will still launch at startup, but only to run the scheduler and therefore will be using minimal RAM and no CPU (or you can also set Malwarebytes not to start with Windows and set the service to Manual startup if you're not using the scheduler, then start the realtime protection at your leisure, though a reboot is still required to disable it again).

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

it probably froze up for other issues then just ending task on MB.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Thanks, she's working fine.  I don't wanna fix what ain't broke, though I did make a special note of what you posted. 

#7 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Malwarebytes service (mbamservice.exe) runs in kernel mode, is set to Automatic and will still show in Task Manager. This is normal...installing a service is not uncommon for many security scanning programs. Even with the protection module disabled so it does not load when Windows starts, the service will remain active and running in order to execute scheduled updates and perform scans. Mbamscheduler.exe should also be running in Task Manager.

Mbamservice.eve should not be running if you using the free version AND never accepted the trial offer. If you accepted the trial and choose to continue with the free version after the trial expired, mbamservice.exe will remain active. See this Malwarebytes discussion topic in regards to mbamservice.exe.

If mbamservice.exe is running in Task Manager and you forcefully terminate that process, it is not uncommon for the system to freeze or lock up. If fact, killing any process that runs in kernel mode has a high probability of causing system instability. See this Malwarebytes discussion topic: How to stop MBAMService? and the following quote by exile360.

You can simply select the option to not have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware start with Windows. The service will still launch at startup, but only to run the scheduler and therefore will be using minimal RAM and no CPU (or you can also set Malwarebytes not to start with Windows and set the service to Manual startup if you're not using the scheduler, then start the realtime protection at your leisure, though a reboot is still required to disable it again).

Okay, thanks.  That's good info.  I'll be more careful about it from now on.  I have no issues with Malwarebytes, I'm rather fond of it and trust it.  I just ended task because I wanted to see what would happen.  Well, I found out.   What can I say, I'm a nerd without the brains;)

I just went and read what you suggested.  Highly relevant.  Thanks.

Edited by ComputerNeophyte, 06 October 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users