Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair Loop & Virus

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

A couple of days ago i found out i had the SweetIM virus. They were listed as stij.exe and stij.exe*32. I have Norton Antivirus, which did not detect the virus. Their support wanted to charge me to clean the computer so i just quarantined the files; I thought that fixed the problem.

Yesterday, i was playing Civ5 when i hit Alt+Tab to check something. A prompt appeared telling me that CPU usage was high, and recommended me to switch Windows 7 Basic Color Scheme from Windows 7 Aero. I had the alternate options of leaving it be, and never showing me the message again. I switched the colors. It said windows would revert back to Aero upon restart.

Once i logged off of Civ5, i just left the laptop alone for a while. Later, as i tried to open my mail, the laptop froze. I pressed the power button to shut it down. Upon restart it gave me the options to start in safe mode, repair mode, normal. I tried normal, but the screen just stayed black. So i tried safe mode, same thing. Finally, i did the repair mode, and startup repair ran for several hours.

I shut the computer down again and went through F2, tried resetting defaults, F8 tried safe mode again and other options. I tried restarting from last saved configuration, etc.. I got Samsung System Recovery to come up and tried reinstalling Basic Windows. However, no matter what i do, windows will not load. I do not get any error messages, it just goes directly to Startup Repair, and sits for infinity.

I do not have a backup computer, and not sure if the flash drive i have has adequate storage for anything.

Sometimes when the Startup Repair pops up, a System32 Cmd window pops up too for about 5seconds then disappears.

Samsung: qx411-w02
Cpu: intel core i5 2450m

It's about 2 yrs old, and i'm hoping it's not a hardware problem. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm using my iphone to post and check mail.

Edited by ISmellCopper, 06 October 2013 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Have you tried using the sfc /scannow command in the recovery command prompt window?

I'd type more but I am using on screen keyboard..

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#3 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

The cmd prompt window only stays open for about 5seconds. I cannot interact with it; i've tried a few times.

#4 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

when the startup repair starts cancel it immediately, then click "view advanced options for system recovery and support" enter username and pass, launch command prompt, then type "sfc /scannow".

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#5 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Unable to cancel the startup repair.

"The current repair operation cannot be cancelled."

#6 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Pressing F8 on startup, do you get the option "Repair your computer"?

Also make sure you press cancel as soon as it loads.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#7 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Just after i left my last message, i finally got it to cancel out. This time that little system32 cmd window stayed open. Still cannot interact with it. When i maximized it then minimized it again it blacked out the window that was Startup Repair. I maximized it again, it stayed open for a while then disappeared. The Startup Repair window remains, but it also remains blacked out.

#8 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

...This is strange

Do you have a repair disc?

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#9 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

The blacked out window finally turned into the window for the advanced restore. It must be running slow. I followed you steps, hit enter. I received the following:

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

Edit: do not have a repair disc.
Edit: also, the cmd window is still open. I can interact with this one. What should i do?

Edited by ISmellCopper, 06 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#10 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Can you navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs

Try deleting "pending.xml" or "reboot.xml", then running sfc /scannow again (might have to reboot)

If nothing works, you may need to format the drive and reinstall Windows, or use a repair disc, or an antivirus recovery disc.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#11 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I forgot, have you tried system restore?

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#12 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

I just tried to enter the cmds you gave, but they were not recognized. I ran windows diagnostic again and tried a system restore. I unfortunately don't have a restore point saved. Nor do i have an image restore. I just shut the laptop down and am rebooting back to the advanced restore window to attempt sfc again.

#13 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Did you type cd c:\windows\winsxs

this puts your cmd line in that directory.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#14 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Also, I apologize for the short and slow replies, my keyboard is broken.

Qh0JjLo.jpg

Fluttershy is best pony.

#15 ISmellCopper

ISmellCopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm having problems trying to get back there. Once i hit cancel on the Startup Repair, it just hangs there. The window for the advanced stuff isn't popping up anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users