Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

damage to laptop caused by riding a motorbike?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 morgonatic

morgonatic

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any knew if a laptop can be damaged by the vibrations from a motorbike. I live in Cambodia and I have been travelling to and from work on a moto (motorbike). I have been carrying in a normal bag (not a laptop case) which I strap around close to/ under the handlebars (so it doesnt get snatched), and also near the motor.

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but is it possible I could be doing serious damage by transporting my laptop this way.

cheers,

m

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi, Hopefully it is shut down when being transported.

Unless the laptop is equipped with a SSD drive and has a regular hard drive then being that hard drives do not like vibration there is a possibility of damage. The drive should be fine as long as the laptop is shut down.

I prefer an padded Aluminum case for my laptop.

Search Google with "aluminum laptop case" to see what I mean.

There is another source of potential problems. Vibrations could cause, not would, but could cause internal connections to loosen up. It depends on the laptop. As an example I would expect 0 (Zero) problems with a Panasonic Toughbook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughbook

Toughbook is a trademarked brand name owned by Panasonic Corporation and refers to its line of rugged computers. The Toughbook, introduced in 1997,[1] is designed to withstand vibration, drops, spills, extreme temperature, and other rough handling.

Good Luck Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 morgonatic

morgonatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

unfortunately I think the bag I was carrying it in wouldn't have done much to soften the vibrations and has now possibly caused some serious problems for my probably fragile laptop. thanks for your response!

Edited by morgonatic, 07 October 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Good Luck with Your problem. I saw Your other post.

To use a external mouse, You could try disabling the Touch-pad as a test. Many laptops have a switch, HP, or use a Fn plus Function key combo to disable/enable the touch-pad.

An alternative would be to go into the device manager and disable the Touch-pad there. The switch or fn + Function key method is easier.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 morgonatic

morgonatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

it looks like some progress is being made with the malware removal thankfully! not fixed, but its not clicking away randomly anymore. even if the pad is buggered, hoepfully an external mouse can take its place till I get it to a decent computer shop in Aus in a couple of months (living in cambodia, IT aint that great).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users