Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mikelivia

mikelivia

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

First off mods if you feel like you need to go ahead and close my other thread called building a comp. I feel this thread could become more useful. Hi all, i am looking to buy a computer mostly made for gameing. mostly all i do on my computer is. Play rgp games over the internet. Listen to music mess around on the internet. but i am looking at alienware computers. The one i recently am looking at is this,

[1] Aurora™ 7500

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Service Pack 2
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Space Black
Chassis Upgrades: Standard Cooling - No Upgrade Package Selected
Power Supply: Alienware® 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply
Motherboard: Alienware® NVidia nForce™4 SLI™ X16 Motherboard
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
System Drive: High Performance - 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Graphics Processor: 512MB PCI-Express x16 ATI RADEON™ X1900 XTX
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 940BF 19" 4ms LCD - Black
Sound Card: Integrated High-Performance 7.1 Surround Sound with S/PDIF and Coaxial Digital Outputs
Speakers: Creative Inspire® T5400 5.1 74-Watt Speakers
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Keyboard: Alienware® USB Full-length Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Diamondback Mouse
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
Security and Utility Software: Norton™ AntiVirus™ 2006
Security and Utility Software: Norton™ Internet Security ™ 2006
Productivity Software: Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business Edition
Power: Opti-UPS SS1200 Automatic Voltage Regulator 6 outlets Surge Protector
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Alienware® T-Shirt - Black - XL Only
Alienware Extras: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - $99.99 Value - FREE!
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad

the total comes to 3400 which is a little pricey for me. im trying to stay around 3 grand total. what does everyone think. Im also thinking they have a better system for like 4 thousand so i may look into just spending a little extra and getting that.

EDIT if you see any areas where you think i should try and add or take away things and downgrade to save money plz let me know. we all like tosave money and im no differnt. like i said i want the performance but over 3 thousand hurts me. id also like to try and make this comp last 5 years atleast. thanks for all the help.

Edited by mikelivia, 27 April 2006 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Modding Fan

Modding Fan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

My only suggestion would be to move up to faster memory, especially when running a dual-core processor. From what I've read in my own 'building a new computer' research on dual-cores, everyone recommends DDR2-667, since the memory is potentially getting double the amount of calls from the cpu(s).

Otherwise...looks great.

If you're looking into cost savings...check out Dells gaming systems...very comparable system stats and usually a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Also, dont' forget to google for a coupon code before you order from either site.
Pirates are way cooler than ninjas. -Jinx.com

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Did Dell buy Alienware?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 Modding Fan

Modding Fan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:05 AM

Did Dell buy Alienware?

Yes...Alienware is now (or soon will be...not sure) a wholly owned subsidiary of Dell.

Basically, it lets Dell sell AMD chips without violating their insane contract with Intel.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6052842.html
Pirates are way cooler than ninjas. -Jinx.com

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:59 AM

The memory is good as it is. Running it in dual channel and AMD's very efficient DDR memory controllers are enough got give you the bandwidth you need.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:11 AM

If you're looking into cost savings...check out Dells gaming systems...very comparable system stats and usually a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Yea, i agree with this, i found alienware somwhat more expensive across the board with their laptops anyway, especially on the mid - higher end.

Having said that i do agree with you getting advice and taking your time in making this purchase as its i serious piece of equipment :thumbsup:

#7 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:12 AM

well here is the thing the reason i am buying a new comp is because dell. I just really dont like them as much as i use to. bad experience with them. So i am trying to avoid them. But i will still look anyways. About adding more money dont think i could for the next upgrade it adds 600 dollars. But other than that everything looks good. the stanard cooling fans are good ? anything else ?

#8 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:15 AM

sigh looks like there xps 600 can be cheaper with some tweaks of my likeing. dang lol o well saving money.

#9 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:18 AM

the reason i am buying a new comp is because dell. I just really dont like them as much as i use to. bad experience with them.

Understood. But you will find that alot of the manufactures all use the same processor chips and source other components from similar locations. Essentially you get a different "label", i know this is not entirely accurate but it is an important point.

What problems did you find with dell?

Edited by snyper, 28 April 2006 - 06:18 AM.

#10 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Well i had my hard drive and video card both burn out on me. but i understand that things break and i even could of got a lemon. so for that fact i am not mad. Its dell customer support that makes me mad. being on the phone for 4 hours and fixing nothing and them refusing to send parts that need replacment and yada yada just had bad experience with them. im going to keep shoping but as of now i jut keep finding more and more problems like now. On my desktop i have to install some drivers for my internet but i have no internet. lol this hould be fun to figure out how to do. ( i know this doesnt have much to do with dell)

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hi mikelivia, Here is a site that sells PC's. I just thought you may find the configurator handy. It's on the left. It let's you build machines of various qualities and see the different configurations and prices.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/Default.asp

ooops forgot the link

Edited by boopme, 28 April 2006 - 09:14 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:33 AM

Yea, as for dell support, i have some exp with that....in Ireland the support is in India, it is very annoying when your support tec is speaking an unrecognisable english and then gets irritated with me because i cant understand him!! :thumbsup:

Edited by snyper, 29 April 2006 - 03:34 AM.

#13 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

boopme thankyou for the link im sure i will find it very useful and handy to have. Im going to be trying lots of differnt setups on it because building a computer is still in the back of my mind. Snyper same with me im in the us and it goes to india as well. Like you said trying to fix a computer and hard to understand what they are saying its just a very frustrating process i dont really like how they handle things. But i think im going to keep trying to tweak this setup for the computer to try and lower the cost. I dont have a whole lot of money to burn. Thanks for the help

#14 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

With that website boopme sent me i was just messing around and got this

*BASE_PRICE: [+655]
CAS: Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window [+4] (BLACK COLOR)
CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+179]
CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
CD2: NONE
CABLE: Round Cable Upgrade for Hard Drive, Optical Drive & Floppy Drive [+19]
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEGAME: Free "Nero 7 Ultra Edition" with Purchasing any AMD Athlon 64 X2 Based PC
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]
HDD: Gaming Hard Drive (10,000RPM SATA150) [+67] (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD740GD [+57])
HDD2: 400GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+206]
IEEE_CARD: IEEE 1394 CARD AND DRIVER [+19]
KEYBOARD: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3000 Laser w/ Cordless Keyboard & Mouse [+72]
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR)
MODEM: NONE
MONITOR: ViewSonic Q9B 19" COLOR TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor (Black) [+242]
MONITOR2: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+135]
MEMORY: 2048 MB (512MBx4) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+180] (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+102])
MSGAME: FREE! AGE OF EMPIRE III
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [+89]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: Aspire 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply [+89] (BLACK Color ATX-AS680W-BK)
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Microsoft® Works v8.0 [+9]
SOFT2: McAfee Anti Virus 7 [+15]
SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
SPEAKERS: Cintre RW-6510 5.1 Configuration Speakers System [+30]
TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)
TVRC: None
UPS: None
USB: Add External USB 2.0 Hub (4x USB 2.0 Ports) [+19] (BLACK COLOR)
USBHD: FREE!!! 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Pen Drive (1GB)
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card [+164]
VIDEO2: NONE
WNC: NONE
WAP: NONE
ZIP: NONE
_PRICE: (+2442)

I dont think thats really to bad of a deal. I mean it should work with my wireless play games real well. I dont see any problems with anything that i have it setup or weakpoints really. Think i should try and get liquid cooling ? its only like 50 bucks more. What does everyone else think? Def will be able to replace the dell dimension 8300 lol

Edited by mikelivia, 29 April 2006 - 11:04 AM.

#15 THE_Warder

THE_Warder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Well I think oblivion is the most performance useing game out there and you should be able to run that well. atleast I would think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users