Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I delete an old user from a second-hand computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roryks

roryks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

Having come into possession (completely legally) of a second-hand laptop, I find I am being continuously reminded of the ex-user. The name is peppered throughout the system.

We also have a second PC in the house, and when we set up the shared computer homegroup it is the ex-user's name that has appeared as the connection, ie: MY-LAPTOP/ex-user (in as much as I have been able to alter the name of the laptop to my own, but cannot seem to clear the name of the ex-user.)

Now, I notice that there seems to be a dominant folder residing in C:Users. It is the ex-users name, with a little padlock. Inside that folder I revealed a hidden folder titled AppData, with dozens of folders inside that. My feeling is that this is the folder with connections to everywhere else. A search with RegEdit turns up the ex-user's name dozens of times and it is always associated with this folder.

Is there a solution to this problem? Perhaps, can I change the name of this folder to my own (in one simple and clean move which I am overlooking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerryB52

JerryB52

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

I would try re-installing the operating system.  Try tapping F10 or F11 on start-up.

A clean install should give you the option to name the computer plus it will get rid of all the other users junk...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

You need to create a new profile with Admin privileges...then delete the unwanted one.

Delete A User Account

Louis

#4 roryks

roryks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

Thank you very much, Louis. Extremely helpful.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users