Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Laptop for College

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

I think I already have a pretty good idea of what I need for college, but the more ideas, the merrier!

And I don't mind browsing for my next laptop, so I'd really appreciate opinions about the various brands. I currently use an HP-built laptop...it has been adequate, but I'd like to give another manufacturer a chance. Sony Vaio seems promising. It looks like they might be upgrading their Fit line soon. For the record, I won't be buying my next laptop until early 2014, so all I really need is input on what specs I should be looking for.

===================================

My budget for the new computer is: about $1500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Heavy browsing (lots of tabs), programming, a few 3D (CPU- and GPU-intensive) games, a few CPU-intensive (but not GPU-intensive) games, probably 3D CAD modelling, Virtual Machines, and MS Office work.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? CAD, MS Office, Chrome, Windows Virtual PC (or similar)

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? MS Flight Simulator X, Dwarf Fortress (...maybe)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I like to multitask, especially when I'm toying with VMs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Not in particular.

===================================

From what I've gathered, it seems like I'll need (...and want :))
  • a 4th gen i7 core
  • 8GB RAM
  • a dedicated graphics card...at least 1GB
  • a 256GB SSD (I think 256GB would be adequate. And I want this computer to easily last 4 years, so it needs to be future-proof.)
  • I'm not really particular about the screen res or size. I've been thinking about a 14" for portability and 1600x900
  • good/decent battery life
I look forward to reading your thoughts and suggestions!
-r0d3r1ck

P.S. Has anyone heard of the Razer Blade? It basically has the exact specs I just listed...unfortunately, it's rather expensive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

A dedicated graphics card should be more in the 2GB range. i would also have a backup on a 500 GB HDD. 1600x900 is massive, not bad but when you say your not particular, your choosing one of the larger resolutions and so you will want at least a 2GB graphics card. The specs you want are about correct for your price range for building a desktop, but to have this in a laptop will be more in the $2000 range. SSD is extremely expensive for what you want.

Just some thoughts here for ya :) lemme know how it works out!!

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

MSI has some nice workstations and "gaming" laptops that have really good specs in that price range, I just got the GT70 (i7 3.4, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX770 3GB, 500GB HDD (second slot is empty and the whole thing can be upgraded to SSD) decent battery (3 hours with some load) 17.3" 1920X1080 screen) The GT60 is basically the same specs with a 15.6" screen (a little bigger than you said but still fairly portable) and is only $1360.

You can save up and upgrade to an SSD later on, or there is a Samsung 128GB for 90 on Newegg that you could use for a primary drive.

#4 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

1600x900 is massive, not bad but when you say your not particular, your choosing one of the larger resolutions and so you will want at least a 2GB graphics card.

You make a very good point (...how did I not think of that? :P)

The specs you want are about correct for your price range for building a desktop, but to have this in a laptop will be more in the $2000 range.

:mellow: ...uh-oh

lemme know how it works out!!

I will! And thanks for resurrecting my topic :lol:

MSI has some nice workstations and "gaming" laptops that have really good specs in that price range

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at MSI's offerings and they really are good. My only reservation is the size; their machines are rather chunky. But maybe I'm just subconsciously comparing them to the Razer :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users