Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Happened To Family Tv? Are You Sick Of Whats On Tv?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

What happened to family tv?

I do not know if anyone has noticed what is on tv now days. I miss when we had "real" tv. I see old shows like Andy Griffith,I dream of Jeanie,Mr. Ed and many others that were just good fun shows to watch.
Now what nobody would have thought of puting on tv shows are constantly on tv.

Im sick and tired of seeing tv comercials with cussing and talk of sex non stop. LIVE ISNT ABOUT SEX. They make out like having sex before marriage and with everyone is just A OK. Parents are going to have to just pre-record everything and view it before they can even let them watch the program.

So many shows are just total wastes of time and give you nothing for your time. I mean not hardly even entertained.

Why do the actors have to cuss why do they have to talk constantly about sex. Why not put some real entertainment on?

Even cartoons arent that good now days. I dont have cable or direct tv but have seen it on vacation and at other peoples houses. The cartoons on Cartoon network for kids is now nothing but a load of crap. When I and even my parents were growing up we had good cartoons. We had Scooby doo and we had Bugs bunny. We had Anamainiacs and Pinky and the brain

Now they have TV 14 cartoons that even adults should find offensive and not watch but some parents let kids watch them. Like the simpsons,american dad and many others.
These so called caroons talk about so many bad things. There stupid and offensive.

I just think we need quality not junk. Tv should also be a learning process. Myself I like discovery and history channels because they teach me something and I feel like thats time well spent if im learning. I also like tv programs without the garbage.

Instead of talking about sex before marriage why not teach on why it should never be done. What happened to Darn and Dang? Why do they have to cuss?

I just get so sickened at some of the tv on that kids and adults watch. I was watching American inventor tonight on WLOS(channel 13 here) and we had comercials about "What about brian" and how he has sex with every girl he finds while he tries to find the right girl. And there was another show advertised like that. I mean just the comercials talking about sex sex sex....

What do you all think about tv lately?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

So many shows are just total wastes of time and give you nothing for your time. I mean not hardly even entertained.

Why do the actors have to cuss why do they have to talk constantly about sex. Why not put some real entertainment on?

I just think we need quality not junk.

As the common saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Now they have TV 14 cartoons that even adults should find offensive and not watch but some parents let kids watch them. Like the simpsons,american dad and many others.

Those cartoons are MADE for adults and teenagers, so of course there are going to be offensive stuff in them. They aren't meant to be watched by children (especially not family guy or south park... heh)

Instead of talking about sex before marriage why not teach on why it should never be done.

Because not everyone thinks that it's wrong, and most people i know (adults AND teens) don't want to watch tv for moral lessons or to further their education. I just want to laugh and/or be entertained.

I just get so sickened at some of the tv on that kids and adults watch. I was watching American inventor tonight on WLOS(channel 13 here) and we had comercials about "What about brian" and how he has sex with every girl he finds while he tries to find the right girl. And there was another show advertised like that. I mean just the comercials talking about sex sex sex....

Sex sells... (although i agree that most things focus on it too much)

What do you all think about tv lately?

I watch it (most of it, hate all the crappy MTV and "reality" shows) and love it. I definately agree that children shouldn't be watching a lot of the shows on tv, but then again most people watching tv AREN'T children. If children want to watch tv, point them to Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, Boomerang, or other "family friendly" channels. If there's something on tv you don't want to watch, there's a power button on the remote.... I use it all the time to avoid really annoying commercials "BEEP BEEP!!!" *shiver*

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

Because not everyone thinks that it's wrong, and most people i know (adults AND teens) don't want to watch tv for moral lessons or to further their education. I just want to laugh and/or be entertained.

Well I heard it this way once by my youth pastor at church. If you don't want to have kids why are you doing what it takes to get kids? Sex is not to be taken lightly and out of marriage because its not meant for everyone to do with everyone if you know what I mean.

I have never watched South park and had not heard of it until last year sometime. I have seen like 6 mins or less ever. Its got to be the dumbest cartoon ever from what I see. The people look like the BOOBAS on PBS cartoons like a flower pot was smashed over there head lol...But thats not why I dont like the cartoon. Thats what I think of the people on it.

I think talking about dirty things is not entertaining but offensive. So thats why I dont like it.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

I agree with you as to the programming CGM3. The commercials are even worse. I wish they would have never allowed pharmacutical companies to advertise on TV/Radio. Some of those commercials would make a sailor blush.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:30 AM

If you don't like it,don't watch it.
Each to their own.
Live & let live.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

I remember when "I Dream of Jeannie" was in production, and the fact that she couldn't show her naval, and Rob and Laura on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" had to sleep in seperate beds, and the list goes on. But that was then, and this is now, and we have let our standards reflect the social mores of our times.

There are some programs out there that are pretty good, I like Lost, Invasion, the CSI programs, these are thought provoking and deal with issues that don't offend me. But there are a few out there that are just over the top, chief among these is "The New Addventures of Old Christene" starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, in one episode she refers to her crotch feeling like she had slid down a sandpaper bannister after having a bikini wax, and in another she talks about her thong getting to fith base with her, I have to admit that these are just vulgar to me.

I agree with Heretic Monkey to a certain degree, programs like "American Dad" are aimed at an adult audience, I personally find this show to be far less offensive than "Old Christine", but I also find reality shows to be a waste of time, and then there are the sensationalist show, yet there are a lot of them...each to their own.

The bottom line here is that the industry is going to show what is going to sell, except NBC which is now know as Nothing But C@#p, and if you don't like what you are seeing you need to realize that you are a minority. I'm not saying that being a minority is bad, just being truthful about it.

Between the network programs and what's available on cable or satellite, there should be more than enough shows to be able to practice selective viewing, if you can't find something out of all that, you might want to take up reading, or playing games for intertainment...the industry isn't going to conform to the minorities.

Edited by dc3, 28 April 2006 - 10:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

I rarely watch network television. In fact with my schedule I don't watch much T.V. at all maybe an hour a night, but here at work I do have the chance to post my opinions in these forums.

I am very tired of how the networks are able to promote their own personal agendas even the actors. I remember being able to watch T.V. without seeing gay men or women talking about their gay lives. I don't have a problem with what people do behind closed doors, but how the networks have promoted the gay is o.k. agenda by trying to push it into my home it don't like. I don't watch these types of shows and I still don't like it.

Another instance is the Brokeback Mountain movie. Never seen it never will. I watched a award ceremony and it won lots of awards, no doubt the praise of the few judges and critics that had a say in who got what. It will be interesting to see the People Choice Awards and see how many awards this gay film gets.

The mass majority of people watch network television. So, regardless of what cussing, now even nudity, and other sexually explicit behavior they put on televison they will still get good rating because people don't do exactly what a few here have said. Turn the channal, thats how you can get this junk of T.V. is by not watching. If everyone else with that opinion didn't watch these shows they wouldn't make it on T.V. long. A good example was the show "Book of Daniel" What I heard was it was one of the worst yet, but thank goodness lots of people found out about the agendas behind the show and didn't watch it, now it is off the air.

I agree with you CGM it is very sad. The more people watch it the more they get use to it. Believe it or not I can remember the first cuss word I heard in a movie, I couldn't believe it. The next was offensive and it continues on the same path of callusness.

I'm not sure if Pavlovs Dogs liked that fact that he would ring a bell everytime he feed them but they got use to and you know the rest. This situation is also like turning a light switch on and off. If you do it to much your eyes will stop adjusting to either and become unreactive to either light or darkness. The same is with everything not just T.V. it is everywhere, but since the times that you mentioned people of age have had this introduced to them slowly, just alittle at a time and know the majority thinks it is fine and it doesn't offend them because they start watching it know like you said when they are small children and really don't have a choice.

And with kids thier parent(s) plops their kid in front of the baybysitter (T.V.) and they watch those types of shows from the begining and are callused from toddlers.

Edited by Bulldog, 28 April 2006 - 11:09 AM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

If you don't like it,don't watch it.

I mostly don't. But when even the occasional quality show is interupted by commercials selling ED cures or similar, it's gone too far.

People watch most of this stuff not because it is any good, but because there are not any good choices left. Totally turn it off? Sure, you could, but 'watching TV' is engrained into society to the point where not many people are going to do that.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

Good Point ddeerrff. Also if you didn't watch Some T.V. you would know anything about any current events or weather. It definantly is engrained itno everyday life, in fact I had a job as a repo man and if someone had a not paid on their T.V.'S and stereo it was against the law for us to take everything due to the fact that they had to have something to get emergancy notification of say weather or something more on T.V.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:49 AM

LOL!!

I agree with you as to the programming CGM3. The commercials are even worse. I wish they would have never allowed pharmacutical companies to advertise on TV/Radio. Some of those commercials would make a sailor blush.

Thats true. Like those EDF pills? This is Bob...bla bla lol

Well the old christine show is pure sick I agree. She talks very dirty on things that should be kept quiet.

The future is prob prerecorded shows so you can skip the commercials of the crap shows.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

Now we are discussing the difference between compulsive and selective viewing, if it's compulsive then your out of luck, and will have to constantly hold the remote control to mute out the commercials, and then put up with what is currently available.

I watch selctively, when I'm not I just as soon listen to so good music, and in my older age I tend to listen to R&B, and full orchestra classical music. There other things in life than TV.

While we're on the subject of audio video intertainment, what about movies now days, if you don't like the gratuitous sex and violence there isn't much out there to watch either.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

A lot of movies are cleaner than some comedies and 30-1 hour shows. I have saw less cussing and less sexual references in many many movies.

#13 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

I have also seen less cussing and sexual references in many TV shows than there have in movies.... that's an odd statement to make....

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:14 PM

Doesn't anyone open books anymore?
All the great literature, history, and poetry that is our inheritance as human beings is available for free at places on the Net like Project Gutenburg, and paperbacks cost less than a pizza with extra cheese. If people would spend as much time reading an essay by Macaulay (not Caukin, either) as they do memorising crud lyrics that are for the day only, or chewing their cud in front of their TV, deal or no deal, they would be the better for it.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 April 2006 - 04:15 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

Here is what I think. I think we need more dynamic content. What I'm sick and tired of is predicting the outcome of every frickin' show on TV.

9/10 times the same moral lessons are hidden into shows.

I'm just tired of predicting what will happen next and being right! I want something that will keep me on the edge of my seat, something, oh I don't know, ENTERTAINING!

~~~~

Now about all the sex on TV. Personally I've nevered realized how sexual our TV is compared to Europe or other foregin countries until I read it in a magazine.

It becomes natural in TV, and about 99% of the time with the commericials where woman are used for there sexual appeal. It's for one thing MARKETING.

Producers' demographics of attractive or provactive material target the male population from about 15-?
Ever wonder why Victoria Secret commercials protray all the women in the "attractive" clothing, it's so the husband will think "oh, boy if only my wife was wearing this! Maybe I should go get her some of this!! :thumbsup: " That is what they use to bring in the revenue.

Also ever wonder why Meet the Fockers or the Scarry Movie series always had such a great success? Sexual[/b] content. People laugh about the sexual conetations made.

Something about the good ol' Disney movies that I just realized recently, was that most of the jokes that they make can be taken in a "wrong," way. Why? It isn't because Disney does it on purpose. It is the fact that the more thought you'll put into what you hear generates these messages. Also Not every one gets the same message when watching shows. Ever wonder why the FCC uses the policy "we take it as we see it." That is why they gave the movie Meet the Fockers only a PG-13. It is because the word FOCKER itself isn't bad. It is just the people who know of the word it sounds very similar to will get the joke, and think it is another word. About 1/2 of the jokes made in Meet the Fockers have really no problem with them in and of themselves. It is the knowledge of knowing about the sexual conotations that make it seem so sexually explicit.

Also another thing about TV. What really ticks me off is how they make life appear to be too good. Have you ever seen any of those shows for children? I came across a couple shows on Disney and Nick, and they portray the "perfect," family. Let me tell ya, NO FAMILY IS PERFECT. Not every family in America has a father, mother, 2 children (one female and one male, usually with the male being the oldest). I want a show they shows what life is really like. I finally found a good show in my point on The-N called Degrassi. This shows actually shows what teens do! And how life is like for most families. Maybe if some parents were smart enough they could actually study this show and found out what the average teen does. Most people are in denial of what TV should be.

Ever wonder why FOX was so succesful with Marry with Children? Because it portrayed the common TV viewer family in the middle class. It had scences and episodes, that mostly happened to the average family. I don't want to be brainwashed by TV shows trying to teach either me or parents how to raise children. If parents feel there children aren't being raised right, they change what they are doing. No family should try to model there life around a false reality of the children waking up with mom in the kitcken making breakfast, and the dad is running late and he just grabs a bagel and some coffee and is out the door. Mom gets the children ready for school... blah, blah, blah... show me one family that actually does this everyday! You will find very little to none.

~~~~

The TV ratings are there for a reason. This is how parents SHOULD and COULD judge content for there [i]children

The government didn't put them there just to look pretty.

Edited by yano, 28 April 2006 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users