Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive failure, recovery partition visible, main inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nightan

nightan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have a similar problem to another user that was posted late last year here.

I have downloaded partedmagic but it doesn't seem to want to boot up from the CD in my system. It is a Dell XPS L502X. I am going to see if I can at least use the boot disk on another machine.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide some insight.

TIA,

Nightan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

When you press power button, look on the screen for "Boot Options" button, click that button again&again until you can go into boot options, if too late, (computer booted from HDD.) then restart and try again. From boot options panel, select CD drive and press enter.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi, To add to what sirawit mentions, in case You miss the onscreen prompt on a Dell F12 is the boot device options button, Press it when the Dell logo appears.

Also You run the Dell Diagnostics from that menu.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 nightan

nightan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

thanks sirawit and rotor123,

for some reason the boot disc does not want to load on the corrupt XPS. I can hear it whirring for about 15 seconds and then it kicks me to the start recovery or normal windows page.

The same boot disc works like a charm and opens the parted magic OS on my dell precision laptop. I'm not sure why it works on 1 machine and not on the other.

I do have the CD/DVD as the first boot device on both computers.

Thanks,

nightan

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Since the disk works in another computer, It could be a defective drive.

Or it could be that You wrote a DVD and the drive is a CD-Rom drive.

Substitution could tell.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 nightan

nightan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm leaning towards a defective drive, but at the moment I don't have any way to confirm. I've successfully burned and viewed DVD's as late as 3 weeks back.

Are there any DVD only drives? I'm going to have to check if the drive only plays DVD's or CD's as well. My Boot disc is a CD.

Thanks,

nightan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users