Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen infinitely scrolling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MddHtt13

MddHtt13

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

WATCH THE YOUTUBE LINK I PROVIDED, YOU CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING

I've installed Fedora as a dual boot with Windows 7. Ever since I began installation it has been doing this screen scrolling thing like an old tv that doesn't work properly. I went through with the installation after not finding a way around this issue hoping it would stop once installed - it has not. This does not happen when Windows is loaded. I had simply burned the .iso to a disc and then I restarted my computer to install it from that disc. The screen that gives a countdown came on (as it should, nothing was wrong at this point). However as soon as it passed this point and began installation it stated happening (As soon as you see the little bubble begin to fill up with white).

See what I'm talking about here: http://youtu.be/BopreUmdQa0

Update: Between two different sites I have 146 views and not one suggestion. My youtube video has only 12 views and almost all of them are mine. Are people afraid to click on the link? I just tried to embed it here, but it did not work. Please watch the video, you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Edited by MddHtt13, 06 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

What monitor do you use? What graphics card?

Sounds like a sync problem. Some monitors need special input because either the driver isn't in the setup, or because it's in there but it misidentifies itself when queried. Also, generic drivers get used sometimes, and those don't always get along with the hardware.

#3 MddHtt13

MddHtt13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

First of all, thank you for responding.  I did check all of my drivers for updates, and they are all updated with their latest versions.  I have the  Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family for graphics.  I am also using my Visio TV for my monitor.  However, I have never had a problem (and still don't) using windows.  Everything functions normally when I have that OS running.  I tried installing Linux on my computer a couple of days ago.  Right from the install process this problem began.      

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Is this problem also showing up when you use a regular computer monitor, and not your Vizio TV?

Never mind the above. I guess the TV works with Win 7.

Edited by Bezukhov, 07 October 2013 - 01:21 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 MddHtt13

MddHtt13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Right, it works perfectly with Win 7.  I just don't know why Fedora is giving me a problem.  I guess I can try uninstalling the OS and reinstalling it.  Or even redownloading the iso and doing the process all over again.

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

That won't do it. It's a lot of work to end up in the same place. Reinstalling might work, but I doubt it will. The rest is unnecessary if it installed without a hitch.

There are three possible ways to proceed. I'd suggest the second one. But there's nothing wrong with the first if you like experimenting.

• Download and try various live media. Ubuntu is liked, although I prefer Linux Mint even more. There are a lot of good ones, and some not so good. If you decide you really want to stay with RPM-based, PCLinuxOS is a good one. If DEB-based is OK, the two I mentioned, plus Kanotix, Sidux, Lubuntu and several others are decent. I'm currently using Mint on the desktop, Zorin on one netbook and Peppermint on another netbook.
  • Get the specs for the monitor/TV and manually input them. That's vertical and horizontal frequencies, plus refresh rate. Once you have those there are ways to manually set them up.
  • If you can see it well enough through the scrolling, you can go into the settings and try various monitor types. Chances are that there's something suitable in the database. This can take a lot of time. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

I'm not sure how to manually change settings right now. But I'll look it up if that's the way you'd like to try. Say so and I'll search it. Meanwhile, see if you can get those specs if you're wanting to try that. I can't tell you the ins and outs of Fedora because I've only tried it once since it first came into being. But the info can't be that hard to find.

#7 MddHtt13

MddHtt13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I've looked up the specs on my TV and I don't see anything about V/H freq.  I do however see that it has a refresh rate of 60HZ.  When I switch over to Linux and open the display settings I see that it automatically detects my TV.  It even tells me what kind it is - it says Viz 42".  So I don't think I would have to manually input anything if it is auto-detecting it.  Although I'm willing to try manually inputting my specs if you think it may help.  Of course I don't know how.  I've also tried various monitor types but nothing seemed to work.  Besides those other monitor sizes are not what I have.  Mine is a 1920 x 1080 16:9.  I might just try reinstalling it or trying something else like Ubuntu.  If you have any more suggestions I'm happy to hear them.

Edited by MddHtt13, 09 October 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#8 MddHtt13

MddHtt13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

OK, So I tried installing Ubuntu and the same exact thing happened.  I had also tried to reinstall Fedora and I caught this brief thing that popped up in the corner of the screen briefly that said configuration failed.  I tried to reinstall it again so that I could see what it said exactly but it wouldn't show up again.  There were some characters preceding the "configuration failed", and I can only assume that must be the problem.  

Edited by MddHtt13, 09 October 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#9 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

Sounds like it's probably the frequency problem I suggested. You'll either need to get the frequencies to enter them manually or get something other than a TV to use.

It may even be a case of not detecting it as widescreen LCD, in which case you could go through the monitor settings to try to correct it through trial-an-error. However, being a TV you might still be required to manuallyy enter the frequencies. Plus you'll need to be able to see it well enough to get into the monitor settings to choose the right type of monitor to test anything else.

Yours is the first case I've ever heard of someone using a TV for a monitor in linux. Maybe it happens, but I don't know of another case. I'm sure it's solvable, though.

#10 MddHtt13

MddHtt13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

So I've finally hooked up a regular monitor to my computer and the problem has subsided.  However, I don't understand why.  The TV that I am using (a Vizio E420VO) has the same connection as a computer monitor on the back.  It appears to be intended for such a use.  Also, I have located the Vertical and Horizontal frequencies of my TV, but have not been able to figure out where to input them.  I've done several searches but nothing is really clear.  Also, I've noticed whenever they are talking about such a method they are usually trying to resolve issues with outdated CRT monitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users