Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard runs hot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Computer specs & reported temperatures according to Speccy

Alienware Sentia XP Pro upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate

Model: It appears to be an Alienware SZS223 052500365 from a label on the bottom

Processor: 2.10 gigahertz Intel Pentium M / Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

Motherboard:

Sentia (CPU 1) / Chipset Model: i855GM/GME Rev 2 / Southbridge Model: 82801DB (ICH4-M

Hard drive: SAMSUNG 40GB MP0402H s/n S03WJ20Y617076, rev UC100-14

--- It belongs to my cousin & he’s hoping I can at least get it to run decently for him

--- I cannot find a manual for this model; I am using an m3200 model as a guide

To me the issue is the computer is running too hot

One thing I am interested is how to acquire a thermal module as I don’t have p/n to refer to and I can't find a thermal module on-line that I think would be ok

--- I don’t have proof that it needs to be replaced but as soon as the computer is started the motherboard starts up hot 75C-80C within seconds

--- I’m not even sure I’ll know how to replace it yet as I’m not really not a hardware person but I’m willing to try

--- If tthe motherboard needs to be replaced, that's a different story, I am not willing to try that since I don't think the computer is worth more time or any financial invesment other than a few dollars

My observations are

When starting the computer, the motherboard is at about 70C fluctuates randomly up to about 85C fluctuates between those temperatures. There aren’t any processor intensive programs running: just normal Internet access along with Office programs Word 2000 & Excel 2000.

However since the computer has been upgraded from XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate it wouldn’t surprise me if the following items are factors since the computer could be struggling to performance effectively

------ Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and it reports the driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7

------ Device manager reports the drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28), this driver isn’t using any resources because it has a problem & Windows was unable to install your Video Controller

--- Then there’s Solitaire: When opening it, a message box pops up reading: The game is running in software rendering mode. Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. That statement certainly applies

--- I checked DxDiag 6.01.7601.17514 32-bit Unicode DirectX Version: DirectX 11 and it reports DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available

The hard drive is at about starts out at about 30C eventually reaches about 55C but it isn’t on a random basis but in a very consistent basis; for example when it starts out at 30C the Speccy graph is a straight line for maybe 10 minutes, then moves up to about 34C in the form of a straight line & so forth. Not all time periods are about 10 minutes, but in about 55 minutes the hard drive temperature reaches about 55C and stays there in a straight line. I suspect the hard drive temperature is relative to the residual effects of the motherboard running much too hot

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2013 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

My cousin gave the computer to my brother and if it isn't reasonable to fix it, we might get rid of it

I told my brother I can install a fresh XP Pro and he might go for that.

--- Whether or not the computer will return to normal operating temperatures remains to be seen but I'm interested in finding out if possible 

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have tried to find the XP drivers for this Alienware Sentia SZS223 on line without success as I want to restore the computer back to XP Pro. I do not have the system disc for the computer but I do have an XP Pro disc for for a fresh install

Can you direct me where to find them if it's possible to do so?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users