Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Compressing Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dan5

dan5

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

Hey, my C:\ drive is totally packed. I use mostly my other drives and mostly it's just windows files on the C:\. Is it safe to use the "Compress drive to save disk space" option under the properties window? Will it slow down my pc? Should i also compress the subfolders?
Help out a noob
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Ok for one thing it is dangerous to have too many files in the Root Directory C:\ they should be removed preferably the correct way so you do not goof up your system or programs in any way.

The compression for the drives was put there a long time ago before larger hard drives came alongally it is better to purchase a new hard drive than use the compression for the drive. Answer about the sub-directories = Everything gets compressed. The one bad thing about compression is if one volume dumps you stand a good chance off not getting your data back.

Go here to check cheap hard drives and you will be amazed.

http://3btech.net/

have a good one - Do not compress.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

Ok for one thing it is dangerous to have too many files in the Root Directory C:\

Hopefully, Thor, that's not really what he meant. I think he meant that most of his files are on the C: volume. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt he's just saving files to the root directory. (Though nothing would surprise me.)

Dan, is your drive partitioned to more than one volume, or do you have physically separate hard drives?

Personally, I've never trusted compressing folders, but XP does it in the background all the time. My trepidation comes from memories of disk compression introduces in earlier operating systems to save space and horror stories of lost data.

I would not compress system folders. Don't compress commonly-accessed folders because it does slow things down a bit. When you open a compressed folder, XP expands the data. When you close it, it shrinks it again.

For your own personal files that you want to compress, you can even create a compressed folder, then drag your files into it. Just open Windows Explorer and click on File and then New and choose "Compressed Folder" - then you'll have a new folder ready to give a name. You can drag stuff into it or out of it. More.

As long as you have an NTFS filesystem and not Fat32, compression is probably quite safe.

How large is the drive with your operating system, and how much space do you have left?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

If you opt for a second hard drive - get a Seagate.
Seagates come with a five year warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users