Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Clock Is Insane

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hibachi

hibachi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

Well... this has been a problem for a while now. My system clock likes to jump around time. It usually likes to travel back a whole hour, or sometimes just a few minutes. I called up technical support at Blizzard, because my current theory was that it was related to the game World of Warcraft. The nice man told me he has never heard of anything like that, much like everyone else I have asked, and suggested I disable all items at start up, reboot, and delete some things in the World of Warcraft folder. I did this, and monitored my system clock for an hour. At 7:59 PM it jumped back to 6:59 PM. I have run many a virus scan and many a spyware scan, and nothing's come up. He aswell suggested uninstalling and reinstalling World of Warcraft aswell, but on dial-up, I truely do not want to go through the horror of downloading all the updates yet again. I am using a "PC Atomic Sync" as a temporary solution, and I would really like a permanent one. I am running Windows XP home edition. Please and thank you for any help or insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

Open the case and find the battery and get the number off of it. Go to the store and buy a new one. If you have any problems with doing this please have someone help you that know how to change it. To do this you should have the computer turned off and of course you will loose your CMOS setting but they can be reset again, that is why have someone who knows help you.

#3 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

I had assumed it might be the CMOS battery before, but once I had uninstalled WoW (a year ago), the inconsistency stopped. As well, the battery is only a year old, though I know it could still short out. It is of litle consciquence anyway, I haven't changed any of the settings in the CMOS, so default should work. Curious though, this is my laptop, so how much more annoying will it be to open it up? I will most likely open it up with in the upcoming weekend and search for a new battery.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

In Services, make sure the "Windows Time" service is set to automatic. If you're connected to the internet, it should reset your clock. To get to services, click Start -> Run and type

services.msc

. . . and hit enter.

You can also check your event viewer to see if there have been any failures.

#5 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:05 PM

Both services and Events are in order.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:16 AM

Batteries like everything else have expiration dates, when buying one ask the clerk if they know how to read the date if you cannot figure it out, you might have bought an almost expired battery.

#7 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

I talked with my high school's computer tech about where I might purchase some CMOS batteries. He gave me two, since I haven't opened up the laptop yet, and told me to bring him the one out of my mobo. He already checked the voltage or charge or whatever on the batteries, and they are good. I'm most likely going to open up the laptop this weekend.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

Dual booting Linux??
That is what causes my clock to get all messed up.

Posted Image

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:24 AM

BlackSpyder, He is not dual booting with anything he is just running Windows XP. I would suggest that if replacing the CMOS battery does not work to call the tech support for the computer it might be something that is just in the workings of that particular computer system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users