Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 SweetGarden

SweetGarden

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Got the FBI Moneypak Virus last week.  System Restore won't work.  Safe mode won't work.  I've read the removal guide here and downloaded HitmanPro Kickstart as instructed.  When I plug it into the infected machine everything works fine until I press "Boot from USB", then I get a blank screen with the words "Operation System not found" at the top.

Please help.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SweetGarden

SweetGarden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Update - got past that problem.  Now I'm at the "USB Boot Options:" page where I need to choose "1", but it won't take the 1, it acts like the keyboard isn't working.

Thanks.

#3 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

• First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

•  

This method may remove the malware:

• Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk (iso)
  • Burn it to a cd or dvd, if you need a program to burn an ISO...use Active@ ISO Burner
  • Configure your computer to boot from CD/DVD
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD/DVD follow the steps here
  • Once you have the cd/DVD created, boot the computer up using it
  • Press any key to enter the menu
  • Select your language
  • Press 1 to accept the End User License Agreement
  • Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode

krd5.jpg

• Click on the Start button located in the left bottom corner of the screen
  • Run Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker to remove Windows system and registry changes made by Metropolitan Police Virus  Note: If you can't find Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker, go to Terminal instead > type > windowsunlocker > choose 1 - Unlock Windows > Enter
  • When it's done, click on the Start button and start Kaspersky Rescue Disk utility
  • Click on My Update Center tab and press Start to download the latest update
  • Next, select the Object Scan tab
  • Put a check next to C:\ and any other local drives
  • Then click Start Objects Scan
  • Quarantine any malware found
  • Restart your computer and see if it boots up normally

Edited by TB-Psychotic, 10 October 2013 - 09:59 AM.

Proud Member of UNITE & TB

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

#4 SweetGarden

SweetGarden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi Marius and thanks for your response.

After I posted I continued to work on the problem.  After reading many other threads, I downloaded the Kaspersky Rescue disk onto a clean computer and started my infected computer with it.  Not having seen your instructions, I did run the Kaspersky scan, but it found nothing.  I then used the Windows Unlocker feature and was able to unlock Windows and get to my desktop.  I knew that the FBI virus was still there.

I downloaded Hitman Pro and ran it, it found a bunch of stuff which was deleted.

I downloaded and ran RKill which also found some things, but I'm not sure how that application worked.

I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes AntiMalware, and it found nothing.

Since then (about five days now), Hitman Pro has been running on my machine and has found nothing.

Everything is working perfectly. 

Should I do anything else?

Thank you for your help.

#5 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Scan with ESET Online Scan

Please go to here to run the online scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file....
  • Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

#6 SweetGarden

SweetGarden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Downloaded and ran ESET as instructed.  Here is text file:

C:\Anita Beck\Downloads\PremiumSoftwarePackage.zip    Win32/Tool.EvID4226 application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\hstart.exe    a variant of Win32/HiddenStart.A application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\hstart.exe    a variant of Win32/HiddenStart.A application

That is the entire list.

#7 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Then we can do the cleanup - if you are facing any issues, report that immediately.

Delete junk with adwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner to your desktop.

• Run adwcleaner.exe
  • Hit Scan and wait for the scan to finish.
  • Confirm the message but don´t uncheck anything.
  • Hit Clean
  • When the run is finished, it will open up a text file
  • Please post its contents within your next reply
  • You´ll find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt also

SecurityCheck

Please download SecurityCheck: LINK1 LINK2

• Save it to your desktop, start it and follow the instructions in the window.
  • After the scan finished the (checkup.txt) will open. Copy its content to your thread.

#8 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users