Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESENT error: wuaueng.dll corrupted bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kushiro

kushiro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi. I recently had a couple of blue-screen events and a few Windows Services stopping, so I decided to have a look at the Event Viewer, and found a number of ESENT Warnings as follows:

Source: ESENT
Event ID: 399
Task Category: Database Page Cache

wuaueng.dll (368) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database page read from the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Datastore.edb" at offset 98304 (0x0000000000018000) (database page 2 (0x2)) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes failed verification. Bit 25161 was corrupted and has been corrected. The problem is likely due to faulty hardware and may continue. Transient failures such as these can be a precursor to a catastrophic failure in the storage subsystem containing this file.

There are 10 of these warnings (so far), all of which appeared this morning after recovering from a BSOD for SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION (0x0000003b; faulting application: ntoskrnl.exe). Five of them are repeated for one specific bit number, while the others are for different bit numbers. All occur in that file and at the same offset (98304).

I did a full shutdown and startup and the warning has not returned as yet, but then again I really haven't done anything on the PC (I am writing from another PC).

Note that upon initial startup I was advised that there were Windows Updates, and there was also a Steam update.

My system:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo Motherboard
G-SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 2x2GB DDR3-1600
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
WD Digital Caviar Black 640GB

This system is three years old; however because of some problems over the years I have needed to do a full reformat and fresh Windows installation three times. The first two were in 2010 and were due to hardware issues that were fixed. The most recent was in July 2013, and involved an inability to enter Windows beyond the welcome screen. The system has been running fine since then (a few Services stop and start now and then, and a couple of blue screens, but mostly fine).

There are no SMART errors for the system hard drive, according to HD Sentinel.

My questions:
1. What does that DataStore file do and how is it being affected by this error?
2. What diagnostic should I run and how do I do them?
3. Are there any immediate corrective measure I should be taking, independent of any diagnostics?

Thanks for any assistance.
Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mbrit

mbrit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:11 AM

same here!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Kushiro: 

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

Mbrit:  Please...start your own topic and respect the rights of this member to have issues addressed.  It only takes a few seconds.

#4 kushiro

kushiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi, Louis

Thanks for the reply.  Since this situation presented itself, which was over a year-and-a-half ago, I have re-installed Windows 7 on two separate occasions and also restored a system image (in January 2014), because of other problems I was having.  It seems that while focusing on these instances, I forgot all about this thread, and did not update it to reflect the changes.

My PC has always been a bit shaky, but right now it seems to be running smoothly.  I had some stability issues for several months, which (depending on which test I believed) was an actual problem caused by a faulty stick of RAM, or not a problem at all.  Either way, things somehow got fixed, and my system has been pretty stable.  I I did find some ESENT warnings similar to the one in my original post, but not since the memory testing.  Mainly what I get now are DNS Client Events, with a few random Service Control Manager errors and the occasional update fail.

Should I still post the information requested?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

same here!

I would suggest that you start your own topic.  This topic hasn't had a response since October of 2013.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

If you have no problems...there is no reason to post anything :).  If you want to explore your more recent system status...it would probably be best to just start a new topic.

I didn't realize the initial date of this topic until today...that's what happens when I read the last post first, then glance at the initial topic.

Fortunately, no harm done by my inattention :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users