Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Make System Recovery BU--HP Notebook

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

Trying to make a USB recovery backup for my HP notebook, about 10 days old.  I get to the part where it says insert media, so I put my USB in and then I get a little activity circle that just keeps spinning and spinning,  so I can never get to the next step.  I guess my real concern is that my D drive (system recovery partition) was somehow corrupted with the malware I got infected with a few days ago, if that's even possible.  I noticed that the "D" received an "update" on the 2nd of this month.  Why would that partition even need an update if its purpose is to simply restore the system to its factory condition?  I'll mention quick, I actually performed a successful recovery once (from the start menu) to clean computer and rid myself of that nasty malware.  So I know the D partition was non-corrupt at that time, which suggests to me that it's still good. The mystery is, if D is indeed good, why can't I back it up?

Maybe someone in here owns an HP or recognizes this as a W8 problem.  Appreciate any helpful feedback.

Neophyte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

The recovery backup is intended for the partition which contains the operating system, usually the C: drive.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

The recovery backup is intended for the partition which contains the operating system, usually the C: drive.

Right, it's the C drive, but what I'm trying to BU is that D partition of C.  I'm entitled to back it up ONCE, and that's what I'm trying to do.  I want it in case the HD is corrupted and I need to

restore the system from an external source, in this case, my USB.  I know you knew that already, I only mention it so there's no chance for misunderstanding.  Thanks.

Neophyte

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

See if this article helps.

Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 8) | HP® Support

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks, your response is right on the money. However, I'd already watched that video twice and followed it to the letter.  I'm trying to contact HP and see what they can do for me.  By the way, do you know if there's any reason for that d partition to be "updated."  I'm a little suspicious of that, since the malware I had was so invasive. It may very well be that it is supposed to receive updates, and I guess I wouldn't be overly surprised to hear that it did.  I just want to make sure.

Neophyte

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Here's another...

Creating and Using a Microsoft System Repair Disc or Recovery USB Drive (Windows 8) | HP® Support

#7 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Still can't get it to work.  I'm doing everything right, but it's just not happening.  This operation should be about as difficult as wiping ones nose, which apparently I'm not able to do.  I'm not overly concerned about this, so I'm going to make this my last post on this, with these attached pics showing.  If some passerby happens to see it and have a solution then great, if not, life goes on.  Neophyte. :))

Attached File  Bleeping.jpg   97.85KB   0 downloads

#8 FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

@ComputerNeophyte

How long are you waiting at the last screen shot? I know on my HP the System Recovery backup takes some time as there is about 6 DVD's worth of data that has to be created in your temp folder. After the data is created it is then transfered to your USB drive. The whole process may take up to an hour depending on how fast your system and USB drive are.

HTH

#9 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

@ComputerNeophyte

How long are you waiting at the last screen shot? I know on my HP the System Recovery backup takes some time as there is about 6 DVD's worth of data that has to be created in your temp folder. After the data is created it is then transfered to your USB drive. The whole process may take up to an hour depending on how fast your system and USB drive are.

HTH

The thing is, I'm not even getting to the point in the process where it's begun to BU.  It won't even acknowledge the USB.  More instructions are supposed to come up, but no dice. It just keeps circling and circling.  I checked the USB to see if it had transferred anything but it hadn't.  Besides, if I had interrupted a valid process I'm confident I would have gotten some sort of interrupt message. The USB is brand new and it's the right kind too; there is one USB that your not supposed to use, but mine is not it.   It's no big deal that I can't do it, but it bugs me that it doesn't work.  And ya know how things go, I'm bound to crash and burn, and then I'll be kickin' myself for not having that BU.  Maybe HP can help me on Monday if I'm still worried about it.  Or maybe I'll just drink some rum and forget about it. :bounce:   

Neophyte

#10 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

>>>>>PROBLEM SOLVED.

The solution was too simple.  Instead of trying to make a System Recovery BU via the System Recovery Manager I just went into

Control Panel>System and Security>The Action Center, and then chose Create a Recovery Drive.  And for some darn reason it worked wonderfully.  It took 45 minutes. 

Neophyte

#11 FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

Glad to see that you got things sorted out. :thumbup2:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Once again, the saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" is true with windows.

#13 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Once again, the saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" is true with windows.

...Speaking of cats, have you ever seen this cheetah robot?  Silly, of course you have.  This stuff is getting scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=chPanW0QWhA

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

The cheetah is the only big cat which can purr, the one in the video ain't gonna be purring. :blink:

#15 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

The cheetah is the only big cat which can purr, the one in the video ain't gonna be purring. :blink:

Oh, I'm sure they could make it purr, just not with the same warmth and affection. ;)

Edited by ComputerNeophyte, 07 October 2013 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users