Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out of curiosity... Why is RAM needed? Why not just use storage on hard-drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mvcdustin

mvcdustin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Trying to do my fair share of learning about some of the more advanced components and functions on a computer.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this.

Bleeping Computer's definition of RAM:

Random Access Memory is temporary memory used to store data and process information. The more RAM that is available to a computer, the more data the computer can store there, which can lead to faster performance.

Any information that is stored in RAM when you turn off your computer is wiped out and will not be present when you restart your computer.

If this is the case, why is RAM used instead of simply allocating space on a hard drive? Or is that possible? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

The simple answer is that RAM is a lot faster than a HDD or SSD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

The RAM installed...is where all the work gets done on any computer system...it is the basic "workplace" of the system.

A hard drive is nothing but a storage container...a convenient "shelf" where all the ingredients used by the RAM...can be stored when not in use.

Although a portion of a hard drive can be used to supplement RAM...there is nothing in a hard drive of itself which will allow it to perform the functions that RAM accomplishes within/for a system.

The importance of RAM is emphasized by the fact that a system without such...will initiate beeping, alerting the user that something very basic is missing or malfunctioning in the system.

Louis

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

... and if the HDD fails; where would that leave us?

Interesting concept but I believe our means to transfer data will change dramatically in the next few years. Just a hunch and do not quoth I. :bike:

Make it so, number 1.

#5 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wow. Very informative, gentleman. Thanks.

Great analogy, hamluis. Thanks. Very insightful. I've seen a handful of your posts. You seem like you know a lot about the hardware side of things. May I ask where you picked this knowledge up? I'm a young cat trying to get on your level.

You bring up a great point, bludgard. If a HDD could do the same job as RAM, still having RAM would spread the risk as HDD are basically a ticking time bomb.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

You seem like you know a lot about the hardware side of things. May I ask where you picked this knowledge up? I'm a young cat trying to get on your level.

Thin veneer...very thin veneer that I always sport :).  I'm just a user who used to pay to get Win 95 reinstalled (because I thought that it was too complicated)...and I finally realized that there was so much documentation on how to do the things that I was afraid of...that the fear left and I began to read/search and join forums for people like me.

I've "learned" more from reading topics and posts by other persons...than I could ever acknowledge to all of them.

And...Google is my friend :).

Louis

#7 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

You seem like you know a lot about the hardware side of things. May I ask where you picked this knowledge up? I'm a young cat trying to get on your level.

Thin veneer...very thin veneer that I always sport :).  I'm just a user who used to pay to get Win 95 reinstalled (because I thought that it was too complicated)...and I finally realized that there was so much documentation on how to do the things that I was afraid of...that the fear left and I began to read/search and join forums for people like me.

I've "learned" more from reading topics and posts by other persons...than I could ever acknowledge to all of them.

And...Google is my friend :).

Louis

Thank you, sir.

I will do my best follow in your footsteps!

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Comparing a computer to a kitchen:

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

First off... LOL. So cheesy! But very informative. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users