Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Anti-Virus (AVG 2014).

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mvcdustin

mvcdustin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

So, I have been running into a problem on a few computers. It doesn't seem to care what the OS is but I have seen AVG's 2014 install hang up on Vista and 7.

What one of my co-workers does to "solve" this problem is to open "regedit" and search for "avg" and go through and delete everything that has the string "avg" in it.

What could be causing this problem? Is this effective? If so, why does this work?

Thanks.

-dustin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

I actually found the underlying issue.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Glad to hear you resolved the issue.

BTW, tell your co-worker it is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall. In the case of AVG, folks can use the uninstall/cleanup utility (AVG Remover for 32-bit, 64-bit systems) instead of "mucking" around in the registry.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Glad to hear you resolved the issue.

BTW, tell your co-worker it is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall. In the case of AVG, folks can use the uninstall/cleanup utility (AVG Remover for 32-bit, 64-bit systems) instead of "mucking" around in the registry.

Thanks for response.

I suggested the exact same thing to her. She insisted going through the registry but complained of how tedious it was, continously clicking F3, Enter, Del.

My subsequent question is this: If remnants are left behind, can that be the reason for a failed install of an anti-virus program? If so, how often does this happen? Is it a common issue?

Thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes that could be the reason and yes it is quite common.

In fact, so common that other vendors have had to release removal tools:

#6 mvcdustin

mvcdustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Great. You know, I'm new to this company I'm working for and while I want to suggest that we do things in a different order to speed up our repair "process", I'm afraid I'll get shot down as I have recommended many things before that are tried and true. Just wish this company would let me help them! They are getting in their own way. But hey, I can only do so much.

End of rant.

Thanks.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity"...some folks just have to learn the hard way.

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users