Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

App for shark sightings help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diveokidoki

diveokidoki

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hello all,

I have the brilliant idea to create an app which record shark sightings into a data base around the globe and the way how they where spotted, The reason behind this to gather more data about the realistic state of the shark populations around the globe and what more uses full it would be to make it accessible to divers, snorkelers, anglers, fishermen, surface observations and commercial fishermen.

The app will be used by a not for profit organisation so should not be developed as a revenue driver.

Now here is the tricky bit, I have no clue on how to do this, I have tried and failed.

Anyone out there supporting shark conservation and volunteering to help building this app could you please reply to this topic.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by diveokidoki, 05 October 2013 - 03:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Personally I feel that this may be a bit difficult for the following factors

• A sighting could be reported but it may be false (therefore giving you false data)
  • Keeping track of peoples sightings may be difficult as you'd have to build up a list of people who go fishing a lot etc..

Also it's worth to know that marine biologists already have a decent picture of the behaviour and whereabouts of sharks at certain times of year. Also just because there was a sighting somewhere doesn't mean it's a place sharks go a lot, sometimes they go astray from other sharks.

Apart from that good luck with your app idea, I can see the benefits.

:thumbup2:

Darktune

Edited by Darktune, 21 October 2013 - 06:07 PM.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 diveokidoki

diveokidoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

Darktune, thank you for your comments.

The main idea behind it is that a lot of smaler commercial fishermen catch sharks a bycatch in waters they not suppost to be catching sharks, this gives them the opportunity to record this as often they keep silent on this.

Because we are loosing thousands of sharks a day it would be great to monitor this on a wider scale rather then depending on random surveys of sceintist, using the power of many.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

So you mean a broad number of people reporting to you about shark numbers, sighting and such?

Fair enough, seems like a reasonable idea. It would be difficult to set up but I say good luck  :thumbup2:

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users