Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Help!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jpatt

Jpatt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hi everyone,

So I got a Asus G74sx Gaming laptop bought off ebay... shortly after I bought it, it blue screened and died shortly after. Luckily it was still under warranty... took it into the shop where it was purchased originally and they found out it was a faulty HD and replaced it for me...

Now I have it back after being professionally fixed by Asus and its been working great.

However.....

Just before, I got another blue screen. This time it said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I have attached a photo of the error..

Attached File  blue screen.jpg   284.17KB   0 downloads

Wondering if anyone could help me nip this one in the butt. I have another 2 months left on the warranty, so if its a hardware issue that needs to be fixed I'd need to get it back into the shop pretty soon. I also noticed that it happened right after I installed "Tunngle" the lan gaming program. (But this may be just a coincidence?)

My computer has also been unable to apply windows updates after downloading and installing them. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. Here are my computer specs:

Attached File  specs.jpg   67.58KB   2 downloads

Thanks for any help anyone can offer in advance!

Jesse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

What you are experiencing could be either caused by hardware issues or by software issues. Please follow the below steps to collect some basic info needed to find the reason behind the crashes.

:step1: Upload the crash dump files.

You can find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy all the files located in that folder and zip them to a single file. Disable the "User Account Control" if you encounter a permission error. We need at least a minimum of three dumps to find a pattern. If there is only one dump in the folder, use the system and wait for it to crash and write a new crash dump file. Attach the zipped dump with the next reply. If the file size is larger than 512KB, upload the zipped dumps to a free file hosting site and post the download link to it.

Example file hosting sites :

:step2: A Speccy snapshot.

"Speccy" is a free tool which is used to create a report about your system. It will list the make and model of hardware components as well as installed Windows updates, HDD SMART status etc. Please read instructions from the below link and post the web link created by "Speccy" in next reply.

:step3: Minitoolbox report.

"Minitoolbox" can list all the installed programs as well as event log errors in your system. Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
   -List installed programs
   -List devices
   -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 05 October 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#3 Jpatt

Jpatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Ok right before I posted this it crashed and blue screened another 2 times.. once while I was playing a game.. and then about 10 minutes later when i started it up again. I have edited this post to update it with all the new crash dumps.

Here are all the crash dump files :

Attached File  crash dumps.zip   78.45KB   1 downloads

here is the error log:

Attached File  Result.txt   15.78KB   1 downloads

and here is the speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sIbRqDTtnp81kk1jnFQJn5N

Thanks for your help. And it would be good to diagnose this soon because my warranty runs out soon and I need to take it back fast if its another hardware issue.

Jesse.

Edited by Jpatt, 05 October 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi

There are three crash dumps in total and all of them shows different stop codes which is generally an indication of hardware failure.  Since the laptop is new, i assume there is no personal data in it so my suggestion is to use the built in recovery function to restore the laptop to factory default condition. This will fix any software issues. If you are continuing to receive BSOD even after recovery, immediately submit the laptop for warranty claim.  

Please read instructions from the below link to restore the OS.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74SX&os=&no=1775

#5 Jpatt

Jpatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ok thankyou. But they just installed a brand new hard drive with a fresh windows installation only a week ago.. so doesn't that mean its unlikely to be a software issue?

Also I do not have a recovery partition because that was on the original faulty harddrive which was removed.

I was hoping to get an idea of what hardware in particular is causing the issue. Is it possible to find that out?

I used "Whocrashed" (http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed). It gave me the following report....

System Information (local)

computer name: HAL
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8565989376 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1944039424

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\windows\Minidump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Sun 6/10/2013 1:13:09 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\100613-26691-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF6837FFFFEE8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000347952B, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Sun 6/10/2013 1:13:09 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF6837FFFFEE8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000347952B, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Sun 6/10/2013 1:02:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\100613-26785-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athrx.sys (0xFFFFF8800788E85B)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x188, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800788E85B)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\athrx.sys
product: Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
company: Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athrx.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: Atheros Communications, Inc. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
On Sat 5/10/2013 5:43:15 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\100513-58937-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF6FFFFF7FF80, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800034AB401)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:
athrx.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

----------------------------------------------------------

I Tried updating the driver in question but it said that a better match could not be found... Also as I mentioned before my asus live updates program, as well as windows updates were unable to install for some reason.... and this also occurred before I got the new HD and OS.

If this sheds light on anything, would be so thankful for any more help.

Thanks.

Jesse.

Edited by Jpatt, 06 October 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Update WiFi driver.

One of the crash dump blames Atheroz Wireless LAN driver as the reason behind the crashes.

BugCheck D1, {188, 2, 0, fffff8800788e85b}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+3185b )

1. Uninstall Atheros Client Installation Program (Version: 7.0) from Control Panel --> Programs and restart the system.

2. Download and install Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application Version  V9.2.0.458 from the below link.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=336&m=G74Sx&os=&hashedid=LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7

:step2: Uninstall Avast.

There are event log errors which points Avast AV is not working properly in your system. 

Error: (10/05/2013 04:49:07 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The avast! Antivirus service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%1069

Please uninstall Avast completely from the system and install Microsoft Security Essentials as the main AV. It is far stable than Avast.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

:step3: Uninstall Daemon tools.

"Daemon Tools" is a known problematic software due to the low level hardware emulation driver it uses. Please keep it uninstalled at least as a test. After the uninstall completes, download and run SPTD removal tool from the below link.

http://www.duplexsecure.com/download/SPTDinst-v184-x64.exe

Run the tool and pres the Uninstall Button (if it is not grayed out) o remove SPTD from the system.

sptd.jpg 

:step4: Uninstall factory bloatwares.

There are some factory pre-installed software in your system which are totally unnecessary. Removing them will improve system stability. Please uninstall the below ones.

ASUS AI Recovery (Version: 1.0.13)
ASUS Live Update (Version: 3.1.2)
ASUS USB Charger Plus

If the issue remains, you should run a stress test on the memory modules using the free tool Memtest86+.  Running it for eight passes will let us know whether the modules are failing or  not. There will be red lines on the screen if there are errors.

Report your findings in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 06 October 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#7 Jpatt

Jpatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

Ok i uninstalled avast and replaced it with MS essentials. I updated my wi fi driver which seemed to fix it for about a week. But then i started playing a game and it started doing different blue screens again. I ran memtest86 and got what seems like alot of errors..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90eszfhn5q95scw/8M1YPWQl74

Does this point to memory failure? do you think i need new ram?

Thanks.

Jesse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users