Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop isn't booting all the way

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 munkeytree

munkeytree

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi,

I have a rather annoying issue with my laptop. I will give you the specs first:

Samsung Laptop
Intel Core i5-2450M CPU 2.50GHz
8GB RAM
64 Bit OS
Windows 7 Home Premium - Service Pack 1

Originally I tried to boot my computer and it would just hang at the welcome screen after I entered my password. After rebooting it a couple of times hoping it would magically fix itself I booted into safe mode which it would do. I tried to run my own antivirus program, Avast, but that was not working so instead I ran Housecall which did a full scan and found no viruses... I was now aggravated and without the time to properly mess about so left it for a few days.

Today I have tried yet again. So far I have booted into safe mode and used msconfig to disable all my startups with the exception of the windows related ones. When I do this I can get past the welcome screen but once the desktop comes up, and it comes up slow, it will hang on something. First time Steam auto started and tried to do an update, I then went into safemode did the download and restarted but it hung up on something else no idea what.

I then went into msconfig and tried diagnostic startup, this also failed so I downloaded the video card drivers and reinstalled them, still no joy.

I should mention I have also tried the repair option from boot up screen you get from clicking F8.

I ran HijackThis from safemode and can post that in the proper forum upon request... I will however have to reboot because I have asked it to do too many things in safemode and am now watching my least favorite icon, the circling blue light, do it's thing so apparently I am not even safe in safemode.

I would really like some options other than having to reinstall windows as I'm not 100% sure where the disk is. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Cat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have booted into safe mode and used msconfig to disable all my startups with the exception of the windows related ones.

Rather than disabling the starup items you should disable the services.  This is a clean boot which can point toward the service or startup item which is causing this problem.  Please follow the instructions below.

How to perform a clean boot

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Restart.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

To make this process quicker the Services or Startup items will initially be devided in half by adding check marks to one half of the Services and restarting the computer to see if the problem resumes.  If the problem isn't found in that half, the check marks will be removed and the other half of the boxes will be checked and the computer restarted again.  If the problem is found in one of these halves, that half will have the check marks removed one at a time until the Service or Startup item is found.  This process will begin with Services, if no porblem is found there the process will be continued in Startup

*  If the problem does not continue after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found, run the System Configuration Utility, then click on the check box to clear the item.

To open the System Configuration Utility:

(1) Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

(2)  Click on Control Panel

(3)  Click on Administrative Tools.  

(4)  Double click on System Configuration.

If the Service or Startup item is identified please include it in your next post. 

When you are finished, click on the General tab in System Configuration, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 munkeytree

munkeytree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ok, so I had actually missed the step where I uncheck the startup box when I had fiddled with msconfig before and tried again doing that but it's hanging on the Steam update.  I went into safe mode and turned off 'run Steam on computer startup' but had no success getting further than the desktop icons showing up - which of course is better than the initial shape of things when I couldn't get past the Welcome page - I mouse over the taskbar and get the eternally spinning circle icon.  Thank you for your help so far any other ideas you could give me would be fantastic :)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

How far in the instructions did you get?  Did you get as far as **The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 munkeytree

munkeytree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yes, but the problem is not resolved so I could not go further than that and as all the services and startups are disabled I would assume it can't be any of them causing the issue or that there are other problems as well unless having both disabled at the same time could cause an issue.  I have, on the advice of someone else, removed my battery and unhooked my power supply - pressed the power button for 10 seconds - hooked my power supply back up and restarted.  This has brought me all the way through loading to the point where all the icons are up and the 'wait' icon is no longer appearing on my task bar or desk top but if I try to start any program(Firefox is pinned to my taskbar and I clicked on that) it hangs again.  Thank you for your help thus far :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users