Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TAILS wont boot on alienware via usb or dvd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

hey everyone, i been having some problems with linux tails. i first put it on a usb drive to boot from there, my alienware 14 will boot it. it gets to the boot screen, progress bar shows up, and then it all dissapears and screen goes black. i then have to hard restart to get back to windows. i then tried to burn the iso to a dvd. it did the exact same thing exact it lasted a bit longer. so in order to test if it is the computer or the iso itself, i booted the cd with my mac, and TAILS boots up just fine with my macbook. i dont understand why it is doing this on my alienware. this alienware 14 is the latest (2013) model and is only a few days old. can anyone tell me how to fix this or what is wrong? it isnt the iso because it booted just fine with my mac so it has to be my alienware. (running windows 7)

thanks everyone

alex

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

It sounds like a video driver issue. I haven't used Tails for a bit so I don't recall if when the boot loader starts you have a menu to select from or the chance to enter options at the command line. If you do look up how to boot into a lower screen/vidoe setting, like vga 800x600 as an example. The other road is to add your driver to the image you have/made but it's a much harder road to follow.

This is alwsys an issue with Linux OS flavours and will still bite me with NVIDIA drivers now and then. You could also go to their web site and ask for help or options. I liked tails as it's based on the Tor Project but I also use/like LPS, Lightweight Portable Security, found here; http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

Best of luck,

Zen

#3 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

thank you zen, yes i do want to use TAILS because i am a huge fan of tor. like i said it boots just fine on my mac which is quite old now, but on this brand new alienware im shocked it wont boot. so basically when i boot it starts with a screen that says TAILS on the top and has two boot options, one regular one for failsafe. after that screen it goes to a progress bar that will load more than halfway and then go black. should i research how to boot tails into a lower video setting? do you have any idea of how i would do that? 

also, LPS looks pretty cool i will have to check it out. i just want to be able to boot tails on this pc since it is driving me crazy now!! lol i just want to figure it out

thanks again zen

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#4 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I posted a similiar topic in the linux area about TAILS. But i wanted to check the windows 7 board to see if anyone has any insight on why my brand new alienware 14 will not boot linux from a bootable cd or usb device? I have no problem with it on my mac. It just seems to be my alienware pc. Either the distro will start to boot then screen goes black, or it just wont boot it at all and goes right to windows. Can anyone help me at all? Its really frustrating :(

Thanks in advance
Alex

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Need to keep this in the Linux forum.  Has nothing to do with Windows 7.

#6 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Trying to boot it on a windows 7 pc. Boots fine on mac so it cant be the distro itself. Most likely has to be the windows 7 pc. I dont see how that isnt relevant to windows 7. But, ok.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

I'm assuming the the linux O/S is on CD.

Windows 7 is just an O//S...just as any linux distro is.

if your system cannot boot a different O/S on CD/DVD...it's not a Windows problem, since linux does not use same boot files .  The O/S is built to stand alone.  If it does not boot...I'd look at the system hardware.

Did you change the BIOS boot options...so that the system boots from the optical drive and not the hard drive?

Louis

#8 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes, i change boot options and checked to make sure that it is booting in legacy mode with secure boot off. I have had a few people tell me it could be a hardware issue. That is what i dont understand, what kind of hardware issue and what can i do about that to get it to boot.

#9 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

one regular one for failsafe. after that screen it goes to a progress bar that will load more than halfway and then go black. should i research how to boot tails into a lower video setting?

First, I assume you have tried the "failsafe" option, does it act the same way?

When any OS loads, Windows 7, Linux, Mac, doesn't matter they all load a video driver. Be it a generic one or a vendor supplied one. The newer the hardware the less likely that the OS will have a generic match for the video driver, unless a low level one is used. (Same goes for WiFi USB devices, SSD, and other hardware.) It takes a while for the developers and maintainers to catch up and include them in the next release...or two...or three down the road.

Use your USB key and try a different distro to see if works. Doesn't matter which but I would suggest "aptosid.com" as it follows the Debian unstable branch which is more bleeding edge and should be able to handle a lot more current hardware.

do you have any idea of how i would do that?

This would require you going back to the Tails site and posting your laptop model and the video card that it comes with along with the issue your having.

As an example using NVIDIA Debian doesn't carry the vendors drivers as it's not free/open source. They have reverse engineered drivers that they put up for download or alternative drivers like "nouveau". If you want "real" NVIDIA drivers you need to install the vendors or get "non-free" source.

Either way your better off trying another release that uses newer hardware to make sure it's just the Tails release giving you an issue.

#10 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

ah thank you zen. i understand more now. my video card is nvidia geforce gt 750m along with intel hd 4600. could that be causing the problem? i actually have not tried failsafe yet. when i get to that screen i try to move to choose an option with the arrow keys, but it doesnt seem to move/highlight anything. i will give it another shot though

#11 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Cool, no worries. You can try tab as well.

I've had nouveau, NVIDIA, and Debain NVIDIA issues for the last few months. At least once a month, after updating to the latest dist-upgrade, one of the drivers would get broken or have an issue. I stoped using nuoveau as it doesn't have OpenGL support, but keep the drivers installed in case the Debain NVIDIA drivers are buggy again. I stopped using the NVIDIA Linux installer from the vendor as it's a pain in the butt to clean up and remove if it fales or breaks on a OS update.

Try the failsafe first, then the distro I noted second. You don't want to install anything, just see if it boots and gets you to a GUI or login screen.

#12 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

This tends to be an issue related to Optimus. Different machines handle Optimus in strange ways. I don't have my AW 14 in front of me right now, but I seem to recall an option to force the machine to discreet graphics only in the BIOS, try that and see if that helps.

EDIT: Apparently I made a mistake, got my AW14 and Lenovo mixed up. I would suggest moving to a copy of Linux that supports Optimus (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and add tor to the running system.

Edited by waldojim42, 09 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#13 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

An alternative to Tails is Liberté Linux which also has TOR. http://dee.su/liberte    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users